Honey malt substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lele

Reaction score
Hi everyone and greetings from Italy. :mug:
I need a Honey malt substitute.
I heard that clear melanoid malt can be a good substitute. In Italy is available only Château Melano light (15 ºL).
I also heard that Colorado Honig malt can be a pretty good substitute, but his color is 6 ºL, and I know that Honey malt is 20 ºL.
Do you know if Château Melano light or Colorado Honig malt can be a decent honey malt sub? Or there is someone else?

Honig malt: http://www.homebrewwest.ie/colorado-honig-malt-honey-malt-500-grams-6507-p.asp
Château Melano light: https://homebrewshop.be/en/castle-m...-melano-light-40-ebc-castle-malting-1-kg.html

Thank you and sorry for my English :D

Honey malt is similar to melanoidin malt with a small bit of a crystal malt character. Id sub 75% Melano light, 25% Caramunich approx. 30L-50L.

Great! Thank you very much. And, with this substitution, do you think that it's possible to obtain also the typical honey taste of Honey malt?

Great! Thank you very much. And, with this substitution, do you think that it's possible to obtain also the typical honey taste of Honey malt?

Maybe close? I never really got honey from it, just kind of a exaggerated fake maltiness.

I never tried honey malt, because it isn't available in Italy, but I saw it in many recipes. How does it taste? Which flavors does it have?

I've asked myself this a few times in the past as I also live in Europe and have no Honey Malt.
Sounds like you have access to Castle Malt so Abbey their malt would also be an option but it's a bit closer to Aromatic malt.
The Abbey Malt from Weyermann should be the closest thing we have in Europe.
It even says in the description that is has Honey notes.

http://www.weyermann.de/eng/produkte.asp?idkat=204&umenue=yes&idmenue=&sprache=2

Be carefull with whichever one you use as they are quite intense.

Weyermann Abbey as a substitute of honey malt? Are you sure? It's sweeter than honey malt, isn't it? Did you try it?

Weyermann Abbey as a substitute of honey malt? Are you sure? It's sweeter than honey malt, isn't it? Did you try it?

I have tried it in the Mosaic Honey Wheat recipe on here and it turned out very nice. It also has a very similar colour to Honey Malt. I can't say how it compares to Honey Malt flavour but here is the thread where I found out about it:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=482421

I'm going to NY in the Summer so I'm definitely going to pick up a few pounds of Honey Malt to see how it compares to Abbey/Melanoidin. :)

OK, thank you very much [emoji4] in your opinion, what is the maximum amount that I can use? I don't want to make a too sweet beer.
A second question: in Mosaic Honey Wheat, how did you substitute 2-row? It's very difficult to find it in Italy

Substitute any pale ale malt around 2L for the 2 row. Abbey malt? use 5-10% Id go 5%.

Yeah I just used pale ale for the two-row. I don't know anymore if it was from Castle or Weyermann. Just don't use an English pale ale.

5 to 10% Abbey malt would be the correct range, for the Honey Wheat I used 9% but it depends on the beer, 5% would be more the norm.

I have tried it in the Mosaic Honey Wheat recipe on here and it turned out very nice. It also has a very similar colour to Honey Malt. I can't say how it compares to Honey Malt flavour but here is the thread where I found out about it:

Abbey malt?

I'm going to NY in the Summer so I'm definitely going to pick up a few pounds of Honey Malt to see how it compares to Abbey/Melanoidin. :)

Did you eventually got a chance to try and compare the 'real deal' Honey Malt? I am looking for a substitute and unsure what's best. Aside from the ones mentioned in this thread there's also BlackSwaen Honey Biscuit that I came across. Though it's said to be produced as a biscuit malt

Did you eventually got a chance to try and compare the 'real deal' Honey Malt? I am looking for a substitute and unsure what's best. Aside from the ones mentioned in this thread there's also BlackSwaen Honey Biscuit that I came across. Though it's said to be produced as a biscuit malt

Hi DT,

I did actually order about half a kilo in 2017 and picked it up in NY.
Unfortunately I just used it in a few clone recipes but didn't do any comparison to the other malts and can't really remember now how it tasted anymore.

I did however order some more from an online brew shop in Ireland a few months ago but haven't used it yet.

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/gambrinus-honey-malt-whole-500g-p-5170.html?cPath=69_232_236
Postage is 18 euro for up to 31kg so I made a big order to make it worthwhile.
They had a 10 to 15% sale at the time so I bought a lot of bulk hops and some malts that are difficult to get in mainland Europe.
Golden naked oats for example.

You are right about BlackSwaen Honey Biscuit that is a roast malt so wouldn't be similar to Honey Malt.

Hi DT,

I did actually order about half a kilo in 2017 and picked it up in NY.
Unfortunately I just used it in a few clone recipes but didn't do any comparison to the other malts and can't really remember now how it tasted anymore.

I did however order some more from an online brew shop in Ireland a few months ago but haven't used it yet.

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/gambrinus-honey-malt-whole-500g-p-5170.html?cPath=69_232_236
Postage is 18 euro for up to 31kg so I made a big order to make it worthwhile.
They had a 10 to 15% sale at the time so I bought a lot of bulk hops and some malts that are difficult to get in mainland Europe.
Golden naked oats for example.

You are right about BlackSwaen Honey Biscuit that is a roast malt so wouldn't be similar to Honey Malt.
Thank you! I didn't know about that brew show. Sounds great with the hard to find stuff. Might place an order like you did.

Back