Honey malt in mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashplub

Reaction score
Anyone ever used it? I am thinking of using it for a mead I am planning for a little flavor/complexity and nitrogen. 1-4 lbs should sweeten the 5 gallons nicely.

Did you ever try this?
I tried it in a sparkling blackberry melomel, perhaps 1/4 lb, maybe 1/2 lb at most (my notebook has been misplaced, dammit) ...I feared the blackberry fermented dry might be too tart, so steeped some honey malt beforehand, seemed to add a lil residual unfermantable sweetness (not too much, just enough) .... dunno what it would add to a plain mead as I haven't tried that ...yet...fwiw

Thanks for reply. I might try it in a hydromel that is when the finances take an upturn. I will let you know how I get on.

I used 4.5 pounds of dark DME in 6 gallons of traditional mead. It adds a heavy mouth feel, makes a beautiful amber gold color to the cup with a pleasing bouquet to it.

Back