honey in apfelwein? instead of dextrose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankjones

Reaction score
I have a batch of end worts apfelwein cooking. I used brown sugar instead of dextrose.

Has anyone had and experience with using honey for the sugar?

I used brown sugar because lhbs was out of dextrose.

We make cysers, honey in cider, works great, if your apples are very aromatic and tannin choose the lightest colored honey, if they are bold tasting and have lots of tannins they can stand up to a darker honey. If you are using store bought concentrate go with the light honey like clover. WVMJ

We make cysers, honey in cider, works great, if your apples are very aromatic and tannin choose the lightest colored honey, if they are bold tasting and have lots of tannins they can stand up to a darker honey. If you are using store bought concentrate go with the light honey like clover. WVMJ

Using apple and eve store bought juice.

I know its not in the orginal recipe but a bit of grape tannin added to your store bought juice will help it a LOT. I think this being mostly a beer crowd you guys dont think about tannins much but the winemaker side of me like to drop some in to help out the mouthfeel and aging. WVMJ

I know its not in the orginal recipe but a bit of grape tannin added to your store bought juice will help it a LOT. I think this being mostly a beer crowd you guys dont think about tannins much but the winemaker side of me like to drop some in to help out the mouthfeel and aging. WVMJ

How much grape tannin for a three gallon batch?

You would have to look on the directions for your tannin and figure it out from there, maybe start at a half dose to see if you like it. Also additives like OptiWhite can help a cider nicely. WVMJ

You would have to look on the directions for your tannin and figure it out from there, maybe start at a half dose to see if you like it. Also additives like OptiWhite can help a cider nicely. WVMJ

That's a good idea... Start small! Thank you

Back