Honey Blonde Ale Hop ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike COusineau

Reaction score
Honey Blonde Ale 5.38% ABV

Grain
:

8.5 lb American - Pale 2-Row
1.5 lb Canadian - Honey Malt
.5 lb Flaked Oats

Hops

.5 oz Liberty 60 min
.5 oz Willamette 60 min
.5 oz Liberty 0 min
.5 oz Willamette 0 min

Yeast
Wyeast - American Ale 1056

I made this recipe about a month ago and it turned out pretty well. The Wife enjoyed it but I am looking to add some more flavor to the beer. I did not want to add bitterness so I was thinking of going with Cascade at 0 min. So my local brew shop recommended 1oz of Cascade at flame out. Is this going to alter the taste dramatically or should I just go with .5oz of Cascade at flame out?

TIA.
Brew on

Mike

Flameout hops still lean quite some extra bittering, more so the longer it takes to get the wort down to 150-140F.

For more hop flavor do a 15-30' "hopstand" (aka whirlpool hops) after chilling to around 150F. Then resume chilling down to pitch temps. Bittering is almost non-existent at 150F and below.
During the hopstand stir every 3-5 minutes to resuspend them, allowing for better extraction.

Or do a dry hop. That gives you more aroma too.

That said, you could move all your 0-minute (flameout) hops to the whirlpool/hopstand. Add them at say 170F for 10' (gives you some bittering too) then lower to 150F and leave an additional 10-20'.

Flameout hops still lean quite some extra bittering, more so the longer it takes to get the wort down to 150-140F.

For more hop flavor do a for 15-30' "hopstand" (aka whirlpool hops) after chilling to around 150F. Then resume chilling down to pitch temps. Bittering is almost non-existent at 150F and below.
During the hopstand stir every 3-5 minutes to resuspend them, allowing for better extraction.

Or do a dry hop. That gives you more aroma too.
When you say leave an additional 10-20', you referring to 10-20 minutes after once the wort hits 150?

I'm working through a keg of a somewhat similar beer right now. In addition to base malt I used a half pound of Honey Malt, a half pound of C60, with 1oz Cascade for 60min (boil) and 1oz for 15min at 160F.

I like Cascade, but initially the beer was more grapefruity than I had hoped for (a little bit of grapefruit goes a long way with me). After a few weeks it has balanced out, and is more pleasant to me than it was initially. Next time I will use less Cascade, or use other hops for the boil.

So to answer your question, I think the suggestion to try 1oz Cascade at flameout is a good one. If you're cautious about too much grapefruit character, try using half an ounce.

I'm working through a keg of a somewhat similar beer right now. In addition to base malt I used a half pound of Honey Malt, a half pound of C60, with 1oz Cascade for 60min (boil) and 1oz for 15min at 160F.

I like Cascade, but initially the beer was more grapefruity than I had hoped for (a little bit of grapefruit goes a long way with me). After a few weeks it has balanced out, and is more pleasant to me than it was initially. Next time I will use less Cascade, or use other hops for the boil.

So to answer your question, I think the suggestion to try 1oz Cascade at flameout is a good one. If you're cautious about too much grapefruit character, try using half an ounce.
Good stuff. Yea with you saying this, I think i am going to do .5oz at around 170f

Back