Homemade wine flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malibuuuuuu

Reaction score
I’ve been making homemade wine since I can remember it’s been a family tradition for many generations. I’ve been having an issue with the flavor of my wine that I make. I mostly make fruit wines, mead etc. Most of the wines have a (homemade wine) kind of taste. it’s hard to describe. It taste almost like raisins or like a port. I’m not sure what this is or how I can stop it from happening. I’ve made a Pear wine and it has that homemade flavor. any help is appreciated.

Does sound a lot like oxidation. You say that your wine making is part of a longstanding family tradition. I wonder if your wine making uses the same kinds of containers and fermenters that may have been used for generations in your family or whether you are using narrow necked carboys and airlocks to inhibit oxidation.

"Port", "Raisins" and even "Sherry" flavors are indicative of oxidation.
Do you use sulfites to help prevent oxidation? How are your racking and bottling practices? Does the color change with time? (That's another sign of oxidation).
I do have a conical fermenter and use it sometimes. I will ferment in it and rack it after fermentation is done. Usually about 20 days. I’ll let it set for a month to clear up and rack again then bottle it. But even still with some wines it still comes out with the off flavor. I don’t put sulfites in the wine. I’ve had a pear wine come out so perfect but I’ve also had one come out with the off flavor. I’d like to preserve the flavor and notes of it like how it tastes after it’s done fermenting and racked a couple times. I’ve very green when it comes to new techniques, wine additives, nutrients etc.

Does sound a lot like oxidation. You say that your wine making is part of a longstanding family tradition. I wonder if your wine making uses the same kinds of containers and fermenters that may have been used for generations in your family or whether you are using narrow necked carboys and airlocks to inhibit oxidation.
I have carboys, conical fermenter and large 30 gallon crocks. Even with carboys I sometimes have the same issues with the off flavors

I do have a conical fermenter and use it sometimes. I will ferment in it and rack it after fermentation is done. Usually about 20 days. I’ll let it set for a month to clear up and rack again then bottle it. But even still with some wines it still comes out with the off flavor.

20 days is to much in the primary
to much head space

When I start a Wine if in a bucket I keep it in for a week or even 5 days (prefer about 5)
I stir to give it Oxygen, and cover with a towel (Yeast stage aerobic (needs air)

The secondary I make sure to have the racking cane up against the wall of the carboy
I sure fill this to the top (Yeast stage anaerobic ferments without much air )

I also Want to have tannin this can be black tea , and acid
doesn't sound like your problem,
but low acid can be bad

With A wide Mouth int he primary for so long it should oxidize
even though C02 is heavier then air , and floats above
Air will get in (I suppose the tubulance of the c02 coming out from must)
or cap of fruit when you stir or push down)

If you want to do a experiement even without sulfites
just ferment juice in a carboy from the very begining
I do not like the idea (your not getting as much oxygen in the primary,)
but could see if your wine still suffers cutting out the open mouth container,

all in all 20 days in the conical fermenter (even covered sealed with airlock)
is to much head space
sit a beer out in a can at a party oxidizes more , the next day
filled in a bottle to the spout or neck less with less air space.

Latest posts

Back