Homemade PBW Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I split mine up into vacuum sealed bags. Oddly enough they tended to inflate over time. There must be some slow reaction going on in there. None of them burst...yet.

I split mine up into vacuum sealed bags. Oddly enough they tended to inflate over time. There must be some slow reaction going on in there. None of them burst...yet.

I believe the sodium percarbonate is slowly decaying into sodium carbonate.

I was considering doing that now I'm wary. How long ago did you seal them.

It's been a long time. Probably over a year. It doesn't seem to be a problem. It's so slow I would think I'd see it was building up pressure before it ever burst.

I gave up on finding cheap oxy substitute and purchased Sodium Percarbonate & Sodium Carbonate separately.

Did the same thing and purchased the chemicals separately.

Sodium Percarbonate, Ebay, minje.son 10 lb, $24 shipped
Sodium Carbonate, Ebay, cescosolutions 5 lb, $11.39 shipped
Trisodium Phosphate, Ebay, chembasics 5 lb, $17.49 shipped
7th Generation dish powder, Amazon, Soap.com 150 oz, $19.14 shipped

Using the slightly modified formula:
Sodium Percarbonate 35%
Sodium Carbonate 20%
Trisodium Phosphate 28%
7th Generation dish powder 17%

Works out to $0.1638 an ounce, or $5.78/kg
Very happy.

If any of you have an Aldi store nearby, you can check their cleaning supply aisle for a fragrance free mix of s carbonate and s percarbonate. $4.9x for 4 pounds

One more question: PBW does a great job removing hard to remove stains...so...after brewing, has anyone ever tried dumping leftover PBW in toilet rather than drain? Would that do damage? Could it remove hard water stain?

I've used very hot water mixed with PBW to unclog a drain in a pitch before. Seemed to work very well. Also, when I used to de-label bottles in the bathtub using PBW, it always left the tub nice and clean to the point that my wife looked forward to it!

drgonzo2k2, using the recipe on page 2 how would you suggest making a batch of the PBW clone? Measure in by weight or volume?
Please provide an example say for 5# or whatever amount works out evenly.

Thanks.

drgonzo2k2, using the recipe on page 2 how would you suggest making a batch of the PBW clone? Measure in by weight or volume?
Please provide an example say for 5# or whatever amount works out evenly.

Thanks.

Well, I follow the recipe exactly as shown on that page:

6 pounds (96 ounces) of OXO Brite
4 pounds (64 ounces) of TSP/90
2.5 pounds (40 ounces) of 7th Generation powdered dishwasher detergent

Couldn't be easier :)

One more question: PBW does a great job removing hard to remove stains...so...after brewing, has anyone ever tried dumping leftover PBW in toilet rather than drain? Would that do damage? Could it remove hard water stain?

I use it (leftover and cold) to clean my coffee pot. Just pour into water bin and run a cycle. Works great, do a second time and pour the hot liquid into my thermos bottle I keep coffee in and let that sit overnight for sparkling clean stainless steel thermos bottle.

Good idea. Thanks 32i. Been looking for ways to avoid waste as I get into brewing process. Will definitely try this.

Not sure if this has ben mentioned before in the thread, but, bulk PBW can be had for $2.70/lb (+shipping) for a 50lb bucket, through a local microbrewery's distributor. Still costs more, and a little less convenient to get, but at that price I don't mind so much.
Splitting it with some guys from your club, or have enough for life!

Currently at about $2.27/lb for the homemade version, including shipping.

OXO Brite from Costco
7th Generation from Amazon
TSP/90 from Ace (local pickup)

Not sure if this has ben mentioned before in the thread, but, bulk PBW can be had for $2.70/lb (+shipping) for a 50lb bucket, through a local microbrewery's distributor. Still costs more, and a little less convenient to get, but at that price I don't mind so much.
Splitting it with some guys from your club, or have enough for life!

It has. But where's the fun in that?!?

I have used this recipe and real PBW, and could not tell the difference in how clean things ended up. They both came out clean, with no discernable residue once rinsed well. I've got no quantifiable means of measuring though.

I used the recipe posted by the trevster on page 2, which is based off of the table on the first page.

I did notice that this stuff foams in my cleaner pump more when cold, than when warm water is used. Even cold it's still not even close to straight oxyclean. That stuff foams over the top of my pump tub for a long time. This will get about 3 inches of foam on to of 5 inches of liquid, and stays that way as long as the pump is running with a spray ball attached. The foam goes away pretty quickly when I turn the pump off to change items or be done cleaning.

I might use it today to clean a keg, carboy, and tap line. I'll try to get a pic and post it while it's running.

I too have found this (Oxy-Free and TSP/90) to work well in regards to cleaning my equipment, but I definitely have an issue with foaming. I use a homemade keg and carboy washer, consisting of a 5 gal bucket, a small fountain pump, and pvc piping. When I run the pump, this stuff foams up like crazy, filling my kegs with foam.

Regarding costs, I can get the Oxi-Free at Target for $7.59/3 lbs, and the TSP/90 from Amazon for $15.75/4 lbs, after taxes, I' made mine for about $3.15 /lb. I'm going to try adding the 7th Generation to my mix. It's available at my Target for $6.49/75 oz. It will drop my cost/lb to $2.94, and maybe help decrease my foaming.

Last edited:
I've never experienced any foaming using the recipe on page 2 with the specific brand of ingredients I've listed out a few times here.

That includes recirculating through a pump for and using a drill powered keg brush.

I've never experienced any foaming using the recipe on page 2 with the specific brand of ingredients I've listed out a few times here.

That includes recirculating through a pump for and using a drill powered keg brush.

Neither I
I think you might not be using the right oxy and have oxy laundry detergent

Neither I
I think you might not be using the right oxy and have oxy laundry detergent

Yeah, what I see online at Target for 3 lbs @ $7.59 is a product called Oxi-Clean Versatile Stain Remover Free.

I'm not familiar at all with that product, so I can't really offer anything here.

I can just say that the OXO brite from Costco works brilliantly here, is dirt cheap, and is free shipping online (I've only seen it at my local Costco once before). Of course you have to have a Costco membership to get it, so maybe not available to everyone.

Yeah, what I see online at Target for 3 lbs @ $7.59 is a product called Oxi-Clean Versatile Stain Remover Free.

I'm not familiar at all with that product, so I can't really offer anything here.

That's the correct stuff. For the recipe, you need 2 containers (48oz * 2). Make sure it's the "FREE" stuff, not the original recipe (it has the yellow lid) which has smelly stuff in it.

medium.png

That's the correct stuff. For the recipe, you need 2 containers (48oz * 2). Make sure it's the "FREE" stuff, not the original recipe (it has the yellow lid) which has smelly stuff in it.

Does anyone have the ingredient list for that product?

The container states "New & Improved," and if you're getting foaming issues using it, it would seem to contain more than just Sodium Carbonate and Sodium Percarbonate.

Not the same used in tutorials found on the web. I am no sure about composition.

Correct, that is actual TSP, not the TSP/90, which is not TSP at all. The TSP works very well, I use it in my mixture. I think there is more of an environmental impact by using TSP, but I could be completely wrong...

I think there is more of an environmental impact by using TSP, but I could be completely wrong...

There never was. It was banned quickly before the algae bloom conjecture was exposed as conjecture. This is why you won't find a single paper showing the 'impact'... it never existed. As with most junk science, you'll find about 3 papers that circular reference each other, nothing more. :smack: Use it with confidence. It WORKS!!!

Throw a tablespoon in your dishwasher to supplement your regular detergent. You might have forgotten how awesome your dishwasher really is. Same with your laundry!

:rockin: Whoa Whoa Whoa It Magic...
You know! :rockin:

Latest posts

Back