Homemade PBW - quick mix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bduane

Reaction score
The newer 3lb rectangular tub of oxiclean free has quite a bit of headspace. 1.5 lbs of red devil tsp/90 fit with room to spare in the new tub, so if you want a 2:1 mixture top off you oxiclean tub to about 3/4-1 in of headspace (see picture below).

I measured the 2:1 ratio by volume not by weight, but I assume that they are very similar in weight.

image-2639000976.jpg

Also FYI, this cost me about $2.60 per pound, compared to the $8 per lb it costs at my LHBS for PBW.

I believe that TSP is Tri-Sodium-Phosphate, one of the chemicals in PBW. I could be wrong, so feel free to correct. ;)

Yes, it's not truly TSP, but "TSP substitute". Phosphates are bad for the environment (causing algae bloom in ponds from runoff, at the least) and the substitute is phosphate-free.

Why? PBW is hard to rinse(requires hot or hotter water than soaked in) and is overkill for most home brewing applications. I do use it for my cfc, but everything else is just fine with oxi, I use the cheap sun oxygen from wal mart.

wildwest450 said:
Why? PBW is hard to rinse(requires hot or hotter water than soaked in) and is overkill for most home brewing applications. I do use it for my cfc, but everything else is just fine with oxi, I use the cheap sun oxygen from wal mart.

From what I've read oxiclean alone isn't very effective with hard water, the tsp90 helps with that. I don't have too much trouble rinsing it off.

Back