Homemade Mash Paddle Pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mash paddle is almost done. Stainless and poplar. Just need to wet the handle and re-sand any raised grains.

ForumRunner_20131229_223549.jpg

Well, it's not awesome and I did not realize that my template slipped. Then using a round over router bit on the inside was probably not the best idea. I also did not leave space so I could make the top of the handle wider. It will still serve as a mash paddle but I will have to make another probably. $8 for a board of oak, I still saved and had some fun. Next time I'll probably do a more simple design.

I need to sand more and oil it with what I use on my cutting boards.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388620134.612401.jpg

Well, it's not awesome and I did not realize that my template slipped. Then using a round over router bit on the inside was probably not the best idea. I also did not leave space so I could make the top of the handle wider. It will still serve as a mash paddle but I will have to make another probably. $8 for a board of oak, I still saved and had some fun. Next time I'll probably do a more simple design.

I need to sand more and oil it with what I use on my cutting boards.
View attachment 169589

I would not oil it - oils have the potential to impact head retention and also they are relatively ineffective in wood that is submerged in water as opposed to cutting boards that have more incidental contact.

I would not oil it - oils have the potential to impact head retention and also they are relatively ineffective in wood that is submerged in water as opposed to cutting boards that have more incidental contact.

Thanks for the tip. I thought oil was preferred but you also make sense. I'll just sand more and leave it as is. :)

Wow, truly impressive work everyone! If it wasn't for everyone's great woodworking and ideas, I wouldn't have ventured to make my own mash paddle. However, I present to you, my first mash paddle ever! I'll be cutting it and shaping/sanding it tomorrow, so I'll keep you all posted. Here's what I have so far though.

36" x 5.75" x 0.75" untreated maple from the HD

photo.jpg

Looks good Bauer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

If anyone in So-Cal wants one made feel free to ask me ;) I work for beer! I have all the necessary woodworking tools!

I was looking at the picture of mine and it just dawned on me that it is very much like the paddle my principle spanked me with in 5th grade. That was the WORST spanking I ever got. He made me bend over and grab my ankles and then gave me five extremely hard whacks. Those holes in the paddle are very effective at inducing pain! They must have also served to reduce drag when it was swung making for more paddle speed upon contact with my arse!

I was looking at the picture of mine and it just dawned on me that it is very much like the paddle my principle spanked me with in 5th grade. That was the WORST spanking I ever got. He made me bend over and grab my ankles and then gave me five extremely hard whacks. Those holes in the paddle are very effective at inducing pain! They must have also served to reduce drag when it was swung making for more paddle speed upon contact with my arse!

Glad I'm not the only one that had that thought. One of the disadvantages of growing up in a small town. Teacher would send you to the principal, principal would paddle you with aforementioned mash paddle. Call your parents, and when dad got home he'd switch it up with a nice wide leather belt. I also hated the willow tree we had in the yard. If it was bad enough, mom would get me with a willow branch.

Showing your age there Sir!
I got my fair (and unfair) share of corporal punishment as well!

we heard stories about a paddle in our principal's office named "The Punisher" with holes to reduce drag

I figured it was a suburban legend, because it was always about "a friend of a friend"

Showing your age there Sir!
I got my fair (and unfair) share of corporal punishment as well!

If you were anything like me, the unfair ones were just to compensate for the things you got away with.

Different time, different society. Still trying to decide which was better. I may be biased but a little corporal punishment sure helped keep me in line.

I was about 35 years old when my Mom asked if I ever felt abused as a child

my answer: I never got a spanking I didn't deserve

Mom: better a spanking from me than a lecture from your dad

Me: to this day

So, thought I'd contribute my home made mash paddle. I work as a lead CAD designer and CNC programmer at a sheet metal shop so I had resources at my fingertips! Still need to weld it up this weekend but its my inspiration for all grain. I plan on polishing it and rounding all of the edges. Great part is that its all type 316 stainless... Building my false bottom next!

1395969937447.jpg

Gregthespy - nice work.
My only comment would be that you may want to consider some wood edge trim. I have a Stainless stir paddle (similar but w/o the artistic cutout) and even starting with rounded & polished edges it got sharp from bumping the bottom of my keggle. I ended up contouring some screwed on maple blocks for the corners so at worst it was wood to metal contact.

Thanks John,
I'm planning on using a 10 gal igloo mash ton so it's even more important that I don't gouge the sides. I'll be routering a hardwood bezel to trim out the paddle end with. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Nice. The shape at the top makes me think, it could be kind of sweet to convert an old bass guitar neck into a mash paddle.

Working in a simple mash paddle with some Ipe I got for free, hopefully it will serve both as a mash paddle, and a skull splitter in case of an impending zombie apocalypse. This thing is a tank, had to go the 2-handed approach. Truly a weapon Minsc and Boo would be proud of.

I hope to keep it simple, a few more rounds of sanding, some tung oil, and a weaved handle. Now sure how practical it is, but i love sanding stuff...

photo 1.jpg

photo 2 (1).jpg

Looks nice! I'd avoid the tung oil. You don't want tung oil in your mash as its probably not safe to consume (unless you know its 100% pure tung oil, but even then) and ipe is naturally oily and water resistant anyway.

+1 on no tung oil. If needed mineral oil is food safe but after doing my walnut mash paddle i would forgo oil as after two brews its all off anyway.

Looks nice! I'd avoid the tung oil. You don't want tung oil in your mash as its probably not safe to consume (unless you know its 100% pure tung oil, but even then) and ipe is naturally oily and water resistant anyway.

sub so I can post pics when i get my paddle finished. Going BiaB now.

Back