Homemade coconut extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightarbor

Reaction score
Hi all.
Ive made a coconut beer once before. I added toasted coconut in the secondary and the natural oils in the coconut totally killed the head retention. Ive smelled the store bought extracts but they never had the natural toasted smell to them so i decided to try and make my own.
cocoextract.jpg
As a test Ive toasted two cups coconut to a dark brown and then added it to two cups of clean vodka in a mason jar. After a week of daily shaking I have strained the vodka through a cheese cloth to get all the chunks out. It smells perfect! and has the perfect toasted taste. Im going to stick it in the fridge to let the oils coagulate and the skim off the top oils. Then i might leave the jar open to let the alc evaporate some.

So i guess my question is has anyone tried this or have any advise and if they have what ratio of vodka to coconut have you used to make for a strong but not overpowering flavor in a 5g batch.

Latest posts

Back