Homemade candi sugar - problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cee3

Reaction score
Anyone ever make their own candi sugar using a method similar to this?

https://joshthebrewmaster.wordpress.com/2010/11/27/how-to-make-belgian-candi-sugar/

I've done it 12 or more times, and it always came out clear and amber (darker the longer the sugar was cooked). Today when I did it something didn't seem right almost from the start. I used 2 lb table sugar, a cup of water and a pinch of citric acid.

Almost from the beginning of the boil the sugar was crusting up the sides and bottom of the pot (3 qt sauce pan). Never seen that happen before. I kept the temp between 260 and 275 for 30 min. (using tablespoons of water to keep the temp from going higher), then let it go to 300 and took it off the heat. I used an electronic thermometer.

When I poured it out onto parchment paper it was pale yellow, bubbly and cloudy. And instead of being very sticky and chewy it's crunchy and grainy. I tried it twice with the same result.

Not sure if it's one of the ingredients or what. I imaging sugar is sugar. Could the citric acid be bad? Tastes like I would expect, very citrusy (sour). Maybe not of enough of it or too much (doubt I used too much, probably less then 1/8 tsp).

Any scientists, cooks, candy makers out there have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chip

Latest posts

Back