Homegrown Hops and Usage: Success?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coypoo

Reaction score
Starting to grow hops this year and have been reading threads non-stop about growing. I did notice a couple of people mention that their hops aren't as pungent as the commercailly available ones.

I am just wondering what kind of success people have with their own hops? Are they as good as commercial ones? Close enough? Do you ever use them for bittering?

Close enough for flavor and aroma.

When using them for bittering, I take the mid-point of the AA range for commercial hops. Not good enough for some people, but Close enough.

I tried growing last year for the first time and I have to admit.... It is a hell lot of fun!!! I spent a lot of time playing around and had a great time! A bit of work but it's a hobby right? I only got a few ounces out of 4 plants but I really did enjoy it!

I did use some of the cascade the I grew to dry hop my cascadian dark ale. Worked great and the beer came out awesome!

I am sure that the AA content will be difficult to estimate but when they are your own hops it tastes good no matter what! It's pretty awesome to tell people that you used your own hops in the beer that you brewed yourself!!

Back