Homebrewing in NJ ILLEGAL w/o permit!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bobby_M said:
Hah, the last time I visited virginia it was on a business trip during that sniper incident. We were all ducking and weaving our way from the car to the hotel.

That was some funny stuff. We saw a white panel van surrounded by like 10 cop cars in SE DC. It wasn't the sniper, of course, but you'd have thought that they caught JFK's real assassin or something. They had the driver and passenger up against a wall patting them down. How ridiculous was that. Meanwhile, while you guys were ducking and weaving to your car, more people got murdered in Trenton than the sniper's total toll. :D :p

What state is it that requires you to get your dope tax stamp?

IIRC, that was a federal law enacted before the US actually had "comprehensive" narcotics laws. There was debate then if the US had the authority to forbid the growing of a crop so they did what they always do when they want something banned without causing direct public outrage - they taxed the hell out of it.

It was quite easy to get the tax stamp though, all you had to do was walk into your local office with a few pounds of pot and apply for the stamp. The problem? It was a violation of tax law to possess pot without the stamp.

In any metro environment, randomly stop and look around. More times than not you will see a white panel van. I thought that tip was bogus from the get go.

Evan! said:
That was some funny stuff. We saw a white panel van surrounded by like 10 cop cars in SE DC. It wasn't the sniper, of course, but you'd have thought that they caught JFK's real assassin or something. They had the driver and passenger up against a wall patting them down. How ridiculous was that. Meanwhile, while you guys were ducking and weaving to your car, more people got murdered in Trenton than the sniper's total toll. :D :p

Yet Trenton is almost tied with Richmond VA for safety. Notice the safest city to live in is in NJ...

http://www.morganquitno.com/cit07pop.htm#25

Evan! said:
Camden is #4 on the most dangerous list? Wow! I had no idea. I always figured Trenton was more dangerous. So do they call it "Little Compton"?

I don't know what they call it but my favorite dangerous city nickname is Killadelphia. Sorry PA guys...

I would have thought Newark was above Camden but that's only because I spent half my life in neighboring Elizabeth. I heard stories of people getting their rims jacked off the car while driving at 25mph.. kidding, but half not.

Soulive21 said:
Personally I'm shocked Edison NJ is in the top 25 safest and Reading PA is in the top 25 most dangerous :confused:

If you veer away from the outlets and pa dutch attractions, the city itself has been somewhat a hell hole for years.

Trenton vs Camden...no contest there! Camden = bad news. Heck, on last weeks Extreme Home Makeover they relocated the family out of Camden. First time I have seen them do that.

the stats are skewed a bit for camden because compared to all of the other places, it's very small, and doesn't have a lot of nicer areas to counterbalance the trouble spots.

i'd have thought parts of newark, philly, many other places are a lot worse than generally wandering about in camden (not that i do much of that, either).

cd2448 said:
i'd have thought parts of newark, philly, many other places are a lot worse than generally wandering about in camden (not that i do much of that, either).

I don't know about that. there are parts of philly that I would not go into after dark, much less outside of a car. As a whole, I would not go to Camden ever at night. Except from the Tweeter Center to the ferry.

I am also supprised that 1. no mention of Jersey City and 2. no mention of Chester PA.

Ryan_PA said:
I don't know about that. there are parts of philly that I would not go into after dark, much less outside of a car. As a whole, I would not go to Camden ever at night. Except from the Tweeter Center to the ferry.

I am also supprised that 1. no mention of Jersey City and 2. no mention of Chester PA.

JC isn't that bad anymore. They're trying to make it over ala Hoboken. I'm getting married in JC in about 6 months :rockin:

Soulive21 said:
JC isn't that bad anymore. They're trying to make it over ala Hoboken. I'm getting married in JC in about 6 months :rockin:

Oh thats good. My last time up there was over 10 years ago. It was not pretty then.

Ryan_PA said:
Oh thats good. My last time up there was over 10 years ago. It was not pretty then.

Yeah, they just harbor sleeping terrorist cells. Not as much actual crime as 10 years ago...

Interesting. Not surprising that this is coming from a state where you can't even pump your own gas. I wouldn't sweat it. I am willing to bet that most NJ cops don't even know about such a restriction. It wouldn't be worth their time to enforce such a ridiculous rule. On a related note, do I need a permit to cook my own food?

njnear76 said:
On a related note, do I need a permit to cook my own food?

Funny you mention that...there was a very brief period of time where it was actaully illegal to serve runny eggs. They had to be completly cooked through.

njnear76 said:
Interesting. Not surprising that this is coming from a state where you can't even pump your own gas. I wouldn't sweat it. I am willing to bet that most NJ cops don't even know about such a restriction. It wouldn't be worth their time to enforce such a ridiculous rule. On a related note, do I need a permit to cook my own food?

My dad's a retired NJ cop and has never once questioned the legality of it. I agree that most cops don't know the rule and/or can't be bothered enforcing it...

Soulive21 said:
My dad's a retired NJ cop and has never once questioned the legality of it. I agree that most cops don't know the rule and/or can't be bothered enforcing it...
I agree. With so many idiots on our roads, the police have better things to do than to bother a guy making his own beer. As long as you aren't a jerk to your neighbors, there is nothing to worry about.

njnear76 said:
I agree. With so many idiots on our roads, the police have better things to do than to bother a guy making his own beer. As long as you aren't a jerk to your neighbors, there is nothing to worry about.

Yeah NJ cops are usually reactive rather than proactive. I've been trying to lure them over to heckle me though, by using my propane burner outside my townhouse. I guess I haven't scared the neighbors enough to report me on it :mug:

Georgia statue § 3-5-4 represents a recent change in state law to include the lawful production of beer in the home provided that it does not exceed 50 gallons per calendar year free from state excise tax.

Hey Mr. Georgia legislator: I'm already over the limit and you can kiss my big white a**. Please come by to collect your fine so I can see how many carbuoys will fit into your rectum.

{rant}
People who think themselves to be so self-important that they believe it is their calling in life to dictate how other people live their lives should be rounded up dumped into cesspool with all the other human waste. How enormous must one's ego before they can read a piece of legislation like this and not say "I will not sign this, this is absolutely none of my damn business".

I challenge ANY elected official to debate me here (or anywhere else) about their justification for this piece of trash. And I challenge the f'ing moron(s) who drafted it to step forward and claim this piece anti-American feces as their own.
{/rant}

Soulive21 said:
+ 1...and if Jersey sucks so much, why do so many people live here/want to live here? Why do so many people come to our beaches to vacation?

That is a great question! I tried NJ beaches 1 time and won't ever do it again. We got to the beach and noticed a sign saying that we needed to find some local government office to purchase a permit to go onto the beach. WTF? So I'm relaxing on the beach and some kids come up and ask me for my beach badge, then I have to break out like $12 or I'd have to leave?! If you need a permit to sit on the beach, I'm totally not suprized you need one to boil wort.

I travel all over NJ for work routinely and the best thing about each trip is leaving. There is a reason you never pay a toll going into NJ, but everyone is willing to pay a toll to leave!

Bobby_M said:
Who do you think pays the guys who run around picking up trash on the beach? Should the locals do it or anyone that wants to use the beach? I think badges are pretty fair.

First, I have not seen any non-permitted beaches covered in trash. Second, If I were a Jersey tax victem, err...uh payer, I would have major issues with paying to go to the beach.

Bobby_M said:
Who do you think pays the guys who run around picking up trash on the beach? Should the locals do it or anyone that wants to use the beach? I think badges are pretty fair.

Maryland beaches are cleaner and they're free!

I spent the first 19 years of my life growing up in NJ - I was born in Camden

I have vivid memories when we were 'down the shore' - if my mom saw the beach taggers making the rounds, she would grab me and my brother and make us swim in the ocean to avoid the taggers - the best is the belligerent way the lifeguards whistle when they think you are doing something wrong...very pushy those guys

I have since moved to HI - lifeguards here post signs and don't use whistles - they just go get the idiots who swim in 15-20 foot surf or get carried out in a rip current

I will never again live in NJ - I am not inclined to even visit my relatives who have chosen to remain

I retain the right to make fun of NJ b/c that's where I'm from but I have little regard for the Texans who make fun of NJ

Seriously, that was a pretty ig'nant statement by Porter fan. Keep taxes low is fine by me, but not if we have to close down essential governmental services in order to do so.

And Michigan is actually a very brew-friendly state. You can find a good micro in almost any corner of the state. In recent history, legislators legalized the distillation of fruit based alcohol for a pittance of $150; that's a commercial license, so yes, you can sell it too. Sure the state loses a bit of revenue from taxes off of BMC if we brew, but in brewing we support our local farmers, which is big points in this state..

Could the state use a few changes? Sure, it could. Some might ague that it needs some changes (myself included). But all in all it's not so bad.

JoSeR said:
You think thats bad, you can't homebrew in Alabama at all

My whole confusion with that is that, it is illegal, but they sell all the equipment and ingredients for homebrewing in stores. There is a store I've heard of in Birmingham and a store that sells a very, very small selection of wine/beer making supplies in Huntsville.

Also, I remember something from high school when we were learning about the constitution. Something about the states not being able to take away rights guaranteed to you by Federal Law. Am I right on that or totally mistaken?

ryan_boc said:
Also, I remember something from high school when we were learning about the constitution. Something about the states not being able to take away rights guaranteed to you by Federal Law. Am I right on that or totally mistaken?

AFAIK, this isn't a right guaranteed by federal law, it just isn't illegal under federal law. The states can then regulate it all they want.

its real convenient that i found this AFTER i transferred my 5 gallon batch of ale to the carboy...

i live in NJ. No permit.

its real convenient that i found this AFTER i transferred my 5 gallon batch of ale to the carboy...

i live in NJ. No permit.

i'm ATF and you'll be getting a visit from an agent soon.

just kidding i'm sure you'll be fine just don't go talking about it to loud mouths and you'll be fine

Back