Homebrewer of the year award

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madcowbrewing

Reaction score
I know a lot of you do not look at our hobby as something to get awards for, but there are some that do.

So I have been wondering:

If you were going to stage a homebrewer of the year award for your city, club, state, etc.

What would your suggestions be for awarding points and such?

What qualifies someone as the best?

Spreading the hobby, innovating new techniques, designing and sharing great recipes, sharing brewing information (blogging, podcasting, writing articles, high-profile forum or club membership), making great beer, winning homebrew competitions...

I know some clubs have a "Style of the Month" which is settled upon the previous year. The goal is to have a small club comp every month based on the style with points awarded. The cool thing about something like this is that you really do need to be a good brewer to brew all the styles relatively well. Lots of of options such as your standard "styles" (IPA, Pilsner, Stout, etc). But going further with it like everyone has to brew a beer with one obscure ingredient or a style that requires using some sort of local ingredient.

I know a lot of you do not look at our hobby as something to get awards for, but there are some that do.

So I have been wondering:

If you were going to stage a homebrewer of the year award for your city, club, state, etc.

What would your suggestions be for awarding points and such?

What qualifies someone as the best?

In our area we have 3 homebrew clubs that each run a homebrew comp. At one comp it is for a Homebrew of the Year Club award, and at ours is the HOmebrewer of the year award. You enter beers into each comp and get points on 1st, second, BOS and so on for the 3 competitions. Check out the link here it will give you more info http://www.mashnewjersey.com/competitions/mash-homebrewer-of-the-year/

Back