Homebrewer Ben Starr, finalist on Tv's Master Chef season 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just watched the episode on fox.com ( no cableTV for me ) -- Congratulations on the win Ben. Reverse engineering a recipe is tough. Great Job!

The promo for next week is interesting.
Ben has the something went pear-shaped and WTF is going to happen next look.

Plus it's the July book, so Gordon will have to go ballistic. ;)

thataintchicken said:
Plus it's the July book, so Gordon will have to go ballistic. ;)

Seemingly what he lives to do, lol. Seriously though, great job Ben!!! Keep on keepin' on brother!

Ben me and my mom are rooting for you. Soon as I heard homebrewer my ears perked up and I got so excited! I'm glad to see you're still in the competition. Keep up the fight. I've put your pumpkin IPA at the top of my list and we're going to make your cake too! Keep up the fight ben!

Hey, cool thread. I'll root for Ben, although from the couple episodes I saw he seemed to be cool anyway. Gotta say: the drama on that show bugs me after awhile; I just watch to see what kind of recipes they'll be making. And to watch Gordon Ramsay flip out (although he's pretty mellow on this show).

Go Ben!

lol, I'm watching the latest episode and as soon as I heard Ben say "creme fraiche" I thought of South Park.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah! Time to add the Beer Recipe section to your website Ben.

Keep up the great work! The HBT community and Texas are rootin for ya!

Wow, Edwort messaged me!!! I feel like you're a celebrity, I've been making your apfelwein since I started brewing, and it has made me LEGENDARY at parties. Ha ha ha...

Thanks so much!!!

Wow, Edwort messaged me!!! I feel like you're a celebrity, I've been making your apfelwein since I started brewing, and it has made me LEGENDARY at parties. Ha ha ha...

Thanks so much!!!

Wow! Now I've got Celebrities making Apfelwein! :ban:

Too bad it's too late for you to give HBT a plug on TV. :D

I'm glad you like it. It's helped many folks get started in this wonderful hobby.

Gosh, dont I feel silly, just found this thread. My wife and I are MC fans and hae been following it all this season (and last) I didn't realize Ben was "one of us". Keep up the good work Ben and take the prize! :mug:

Actually, I did several interviews about brewing, and I talked about HBT and how it was critical in the learning process. (After getting started by reading John Palmer.)

But...less than 1% of what gets filmed ever makes it onto the show. For each challenge, we spend about 2 hours in post-interviews. And I rarely see more than a sentence or two make it into the final edit.

I kept trying to mention my brewing throughout the competition, in hopes that someone would try to hire me as a brewer somewhere, or get me hooked up to start my brewery in Hawaii! Unfortunately, very little of it made it to the screen. *sigh*

Enh, at least you tried. The producers probably were just telling the editors "make sure you edit out whatever that guy's talking about, the distilling or whatever it is; we need more footage of Gordon yelling".

Ben, you are doing it wrong. Try to fit in the homebrewing aspect in a rant and pool of tears.
eg: Gordon Ramsey is a moronic half (By the way, I like to brew my own beer and would like to work in that field) wit with a baboon's arse for a brain!!! Oh Grrrr!

Ben, you are doing it wrong. Try to fit in the homebrewing aspect in a rant and pool of tears.
eg: Gordon Ramsey is a moronic half (By the way, I like to brew my own beer and would like to work in that field) wit with a baboon's arse for a brain!!! Oh Grrrr!

128936229081920439.jpg

Ben, where's your lobster? We noticed a few contestants did not get any plate time on camera.

It's like you are quietly playing in the middle, not making waves, while other contestants get picked off one by one.

You are getting loads of play by play commentary though. Keep it up. It's working so far.

Just wondering, how long have you guys been done filming and what is it like for you watching it on TV?

Just moved into our new house a couple of weeks ago and have been working on that in most of our spare moments but have been DVRing the show. Last night we finally got caught up. Obviously, we are all rooting for you in our house. Thanks for sharing your recipes on your site, especially the cake. Carrot cake is my favorite followed closely by pumpkin so that really piqued my interest. Gonna tell SWMBO to make it for my birthday in a couple of weeks!

Ben, can you talk a about the behind the scenes/production aspect of the show. How long were you in production? How many hours a day? Are all those head shot/private comments taped during the "event" that you're commenting on (like the challenges) or later in the day after?

I know the show doesn't focus at all, thank god, of the after hours aspect, like Hell's kitchen does, BUT were you all living together during production? Or was this more like an "acting job" where you worked for 8-10 hours together and then went your separate ways?

Ben, can you talk a about the behind the scenes/production aspect of the show. How long were you in production? How many hours a day? Are all those head shot/private comments taped during the "event" that you're commenting on (like the challenges) or later in the day after?

I know the show doesn't focus at all, thank god, of the after hours aspect, like Hell's kitchen does, BUT were you all living together during production? Or was this more like an "acting job" where you worked for 8-10 hours together and then went your separate ways?

I have always wondered about this kind of stuff too. Just didn't know how much you were able to divulge.

I have always wondered about this kind of stuff too. Just didn't know how much you were able to divulge.

Yeah, I know. Ben could have won it and have $250,000 to buy pumpkins and home brew equipment and can't say a single word. It's got to be eating him up not to be able to talk about it.

Oh yeah, and can I have all the dirt on Jennifer Behm? I think she's one of the sexiest women I've ever seen. There's just something about her.

jennifer-behm-masterchef.jpg

I have a major tv crush on her.

Oh yeah, and can I have all the dirt on Jennifer Behm? I think she's one of the sexiest women I've ever seen. There's just something about her.

jennifer-behm-masterchef.jpg

I have a major tv crush on her.

I didn't before, really... but that picture is changing my mind.

...less than 1% of what gets filmed ever makes it onto the show.

It's always better to have way too much than to little when you hit the editing room. When I worked in radio, a 5 minute feature usually had more than 3 hours of tape behind it.

I hadn't been back to this thread since Revvy first posted it. I didn't realize you are a fellow HBTer. :rockin:

One of us... One of us... One of us...

:mug: Enjoyin' the show.

What day does this show air in the real world so that I know when to NOT look at this thread and spoil my belated viewing?

Mondays and evidently Tuesdays as well.

I watch it the next day when it's posted on hulu.com, and I force myself to ignore this thread until the second the credits roll.

cant wait to try eggs ben's way. I love poached eggs but can never manage to get them to hold together correctly. The idea of the small holes in the shell seem like a great idea.

Indeed I am! Not nearly the masters that most of you are, still learning, but I've been brewing for 4 years and I'm a full fledged addict. Just upgraded to kegging last year and built a nice 4-tap kegerator in my garage. Thanks for watching, everyone! It will be a wild season.

Hhaha I watched tonight and couldn't help but judge you a weirdo, but now I'm proud to be weird enough to be among your kind. :mug: I'm sure the show is already well in the can but "good luck.:

Back