Homebrew supplies shipped to Newfoundland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickbrew

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this. From what I gather, Canadian Homebrew Supplies is a good Canadian supplier but often my shipping costs are almost just as much as the US companies, being all the way out here on the rock.

LHBS is great for basic needs at reasonable prices but moving things up to larger orders it's just getting quite expensive and i'm looking for some alternatives.

Cheers

Check out OBK. They're based in Ontario, but I've used them a number of times for shipping to Alberta. The prices of their products are very reasonable, and the shipping is as competitive as anywhere else.

+1 for Ontariobeerkegs.com

Nothing but great things to say about their products, service, and shipping fees are very fair, if not the best I've seen.

I live on fort mcmurray and use toronto brewing for everything I've bought so far except my cornys, they came from OBK

Seems like a pretty good consensus. Ill check out OBK, hopefully I can save a few $$.

Are you in the metro area? I don't find the prices at Brewery Lane too bad and they seem to have most everything you'd need. But then again I only brew once a month or so and 5 gallons (IMP) is as big as I go. Extract is pricey but I mostly brew all grain. They have a decent customer reward system as well.

If you aren't in the metro area Brewery Lane has a web store called clickabrew.com. I've never used it though. I live within a ten minute walk of one of their "real" stores.

A lot of online places have better prices per item but usually shipping to Newfoundland eats a lot of the savings.

+1 to OBK, Brewery lane is stupid expensive by comparison to my old LHBS for most things and if you do a big enough order OBK is the way to go. I plan on ordering a lb or two of hops (or more if I can split the order with someone, get some more variety) to avoid paying through the nose out here. For malt and yeast check out beer craft, bulk sacks of malt usually work out to around $1CAD/lb and it is good malt, just don't seem to have any specialty stuff around. If you like a strain or two seriously consider yeast ranching, everything is expensive on the rock.

Are you in the metro area? I don't find the prices at Brewery Lane too bad and they seem to have most everything you'd need. But then again I only brew once a month or so and 5 gallons (IMP) is as big as I go. Extract is pricey but I mostly brew all grain. They have a decent customer reward system as well.

If you aren't in the metro area Brewery Lane has a web store called clickabrew.com. I've never used it though. I live within a ten minute walk of one of their "real" stores.

A lot of online places have better prices per item but usually shipping to Newfoundland eats a lot of the savings.

Yeah, im in the metro area. I really do like brewery lane but if I want to buy in a bit of bulk i'm not doing myself any favors. Again, customer reward system makes up for it a bit and they have great employees but specific supplies are sometimes lacking and I don't want to have to keep making substitutions to recipes. As well, I agree the shipping eats up most of the savings which makes sense seeing as we're on an island.

+1 to OBK, Brewery lane is stupid expensive by comparison to my old LHBS for most things and if you do a big enough order OBK is the way to go. I plan on ordering a lb or two of hops (or more if I can split the order with someone, get some more variety) to avoid paying through the nose out here. For malt and yeast check out beer craft, bulk sacks of malt usually work out to around $1CAD/lb and it is good malt, just don't seem to have any specialty stuff around. If you like a strain or two seriously consider yeast ranching, everything is expensive on the rock.

I haven't set foot in Brew Craft since I started brewing in 2012. I liked Brewery Lane's reward system better and I think back then the prices were comparable (don't remember for sure). I just checked out Brew Craft's website, it has been updated since the last time I was on it and now shows product prices. Brew Craft's prices appear lower across the board and $55 bucks for a sack of 2 Row is incentive to get a grain mill of my own. I'm going to have to swing by and do some cost comparison. Brewery Lane rewards 10% on all purchases but I don't know if that will cover the price difference on the stuff I usually buy.

Thanks for the heads up/reminder.

@DaNewf, their bulk grain prices are quite competitive as are the rest of the ingredients. Can't speak as to how knowledgeable the staff is or pricing on equipment/kits as I don't buy much in equipment these days but generally I prefer to shop there vs. Brewery Lane. I got a couple pounds of flaked barley from Brewery Lane that was loaded with weavels and the guy flat out denied it came from them pretty well, can't see that many weavels growing in a sealed bag in 6 hours :s . TBH considering the pricing out here I think I'll just be planning out my brews and saving on delivery by ordering in bulk. Checked out that store in NS and with flat rate shipping it looks like I can get a couple lbs of hops for near half price(shipping included) of what either local here is charging.

Definitely invest in your own mill, when I found out Brewery Lane charged for milling I used it as an excuse to spluge on a Barley Crusher back in Ottawa and while it may not be the best piece of machinery it has been worth it for me. Consistently been hitting 80+% on my numbers and love that I can buy in bulk and mill when I want and how I want.

Latest posts

Back