homebrew SOS ,opinion needed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chef1978

Reaction score
brewed 2 weeks a go English ale,100% maris otter,og1.044 fg 1.008,WLP007,very light patio beer for this coming;y5 weekend,cool crashed and filtered it,now the flavor is good and all ,i just find the color and body not quite as i wanted,i think i mashed it too long so the wort is very fermentable,now i was thinking ,and i find 2 ways i can deal with it,

1-buy few bottles Fullers ESB,or London Pride and add to it to slightly improve color and body.

2- get pound of crystal 80L steep it,boil it down a bit and mix it in,and maybe dry hop it too ,the beer will not re ferment cause i keep it in the fridge and it was filtered with 1 micron pads.

now,any opinions on that one guys will be appreciate it.cheers.

I would take the crooked with the straights and drink it as is.

If you're going to buy esb or LP, and mix it, you should not have made yours to begin with.

I'm assuming your brew is still in the fermenter, which is why you want to add 80L to it? I've personally never done this, however people have told me they've tried it with terrible results; yours may turn out alright - however I still wouldn't do it.

If the flavor is there, most beer drinkers wouldn't care about the body or color.

I tend to agree.. with Gravity... Just leave it as it is and enjoy, or you might not have a beer worth while in the end

Fair enough Gravity,I realized that I'm just nit pick now,the wife says the same to me,I'm just perfectionist with ocd syndrom lol.

I have to go with Gravity on this one. Most people who drink "store bought" beer will probably think it's really good because it looks like what they drink. I'd leave it alone.

The only thing I would add to this is if you are bottling, you could possibly use a darker malt extract for priming to make the color a little richer. But if you are happy with how the sample tastes, just give it a name that works.

You really shouldn't try to adjust color at this point. As far as body is concerned? The beer has not been carbonated has it? I believe you will get a different feel from it when conditioned.

The dark extract for priming is a good idea to try. But IMO it is a shot in the dark to know how much difference it will make.

You really shouldn't try to adjust color at this point. As far as body is concerned? The beer has not been carbonated has it? I believe you will get a different feel from it when conditioned.

The dark extract for priming is a good idea to try. But IMO it is a shot in the dark to know how much difference it will make.

It is being force carbonate as we speak.good point ,I will wait and see than.cheers.

I'm surprised the color bothers you so much, but if it does then it does. I'd probably just keep it as is.

Sounds good to me guys.much appreciate it.

You and your friends will enjoy it knowing you made it, which is part of the home brew game, plus you can through some brew talk at them ...."yea it's good, however the body...."....."the grist in this is...."......"my mash and hop schedule...." ...lol...

Enjoy

:mug:

So first and foremost, I agree with the other folks here. I generally take the policy that if I have a beer that doesn't come out exactly how I like it, I fix it--the next time I brew that style. Generally I don't like mucking with a beer if the "flavor is good and all".

That said, if you just want to mess with color, you can do that pretty easily. Particularly if it's kegged. There's a product called Sinamar that will do it:

https://www.midwestsupplies.com/sinamar

It won't change body, but it would change color... And it's not like adding a fermentable ingredient or flavoring agent, so it's easier to add this to the finished product without screwing up your beer.

As I said, I personally wouldn't mess with it. But if you just *have* to get that color right, it's an option.

Latest posts

Back