Homebrew in Portland, Or. parks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushingblackdoom

Reaction score
Hey all brewers & brew lovers out there!
I'm kinda getting a lil worried that I may not be able to share my brews with my friends & family at my wedding.
We've reserved a park here in Portland, Or,
Mt. Tabor Park, to be specific. My plan was to move my keezer into the picnic area where we'll be cooking & serving all kinds of great stuff. We'd then help ourselves to great beer throughout the day. Seems simple, right? The keezer is your very standard looking chest freezer variety and by no means appears to contain anything other than food.
The Problem: NO KEGS ALLOWED. AT ALL. PERIOD. Strictly BYOB. Big bummer. Especially since I have 6 Cornies ready to tap, all containing epic brews I've worked hard to perfect & replicate.
Option #1: buy a ton of growlers & fill em up, keep em on ice, refill as neccessary.
Option #2: leave all MY beer at home and, gasp, buy a $hit ton of commercial beer for everyone :(
My wallet & conscience has a hard time considering this, but it's in accordance with the park rules. it's my wedding reception, after all, and I'm NOT gonna get us all kicked out.
My spirit screams to roll the dice, serve MY beer out of corny kegs, RDWHAHB. It's on a Thursday afternoon, so I highly doubt there'll be any REAL oversight from the city in this lil event. We're expecting 60-70 people, over half of which are looking forward to drinking my beer.

My question to anyone rad enough to read this entire thread: Have you ever tried to hold a private event in a Portland area park in which you served beer in a keg? What can I/should I expect, and how'd it turn out? Any and all input is hugely appreciated!! Thanx y'all!!

Some things to consider: we have liability insurance covering our BYOB allowance.
I've known we weren't allowed kegs from the beginning, but kept brewing/kegging, feeling confident. Our "organizer" fell off the face of the earth and is not privvy to the ins&outs of this situation. It's important to me to share my brews, but my wife's comfort & faith in me is way more important, thus I'll eat money & $hit sandwiches if it makes her feel better, but I've got feelings, too! Oh, and it's 3 weeks away!!!!!! Aaaaagghhh!

I live in WI, so I can't really be of help, but do you have the ability to bottle from keg. Once you get going its as quick as regular bottling. Then you won't have "kegs." six full kegs may take a few hours, but then everyone is happy, plus you could send extras home with your guests if your state statues allow that... And you still get the pride of serving your own homebrew, your wife to be is happy you don't break the rules and you don't have to haul a big freezer to the park. You can make your own "commemorative" labels and store a few bottles to age. Win-win

Can you keep the keezer in the back of a truck and fill pitchers...??? Pack the freezer with ice, so you won't need power. Think of a pizza parlor style beer in pitchers. Hell you could even can decorate the pitchers with photo's of you and the misses.

Have someone bring a motorhome/camper/trailer, and keep it in there?

Both great ideas, guys. Thanx! I think imma put a few kegs in a friends truck and fill/refill growlers. At least until it's obviously cool to bust out a keg later in the evening. I can easily draw up some cool labels, as we've already been making and designing everything. The wifey and I are super crafty, creative folks. Super down-home DYI sort of thing. It's gonna be awright! Thanx again !!

We've run into the same problem with Portland parks. Can't even have a keg of root beer!

ksbrain said:
I'm not getting how bringing your own kegs is not bringing your own beer.

I know?! It's stupid! Especially how "green" & "progressive" this town is trying to be... They'd rather we drop bottles and caps all over the grass, create useless waste & trash, and keep paying into the commercial monsters! Contradictory at best. Their rationale is that "kegs create an atmosphere of over-indulgence."
It's a shame, really. Considering that Portland is the beer Mecca of the PaNW. Dumb@sses.

david_42 said:
We've run into the same problem with Portland parks. Can't even have a keg of root beer!

Any idea of the consequences? Like, how big is the fine? I'm thinking, if it's fair, I'd just pay the fine & serve outta kegs. It's not like we're gonna have another wedding party there next year or anything... :) really? No root beer, even?!! Crazy. What about lemonade & tea dispensing?

Back