Homebrew = Farting??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
Trying to figure out if it's the beer or the food I am eating when we indulge in the home brew????

I seem to have explosive gas after both times drinking the home brew?

Its the yeast. Do a simple search on here and you will find plenty of info on it.

I haven't noticed more gas than usual when I just have beer. Must be a combination. Non-alcoholic on the other hand...for that full, bloated feeling without the buzz.

Home brew has live yeast in it. This can lead to gas!

That being said, if the home brew is given enough time in the fermentation stage(3-4weeks), enough time to carb up in the bottle, and then poured to the shoulder, you really will only ingest a very small amount of yeast.

Most newer home brewers rush this process, drink from the bottle and end up ingesting a ton of yeast, leading to exposive amounts of gas.:( But, just think about the benefits of the vitamins your getting!:D

Building up a pipeline of beers will help. So brew more and often!

Bull

Nope, it's pretty common in the beginning. We're not accustomed to "living beers," beers with live yeast in it. It's actually very good for us, but initially our stomach may be affected, and we get "yeast farts."

The good news is that after a period time (mine I think was 6 months or so) your gut bacteria gets used to it and you go back to your usual level of flatulence.

There's a ton of threads on it here, if you want you can search for yeast farts.

There is one long thread about it here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/beer-intestinal-gas-135066/

Maybe actually consuming large amounts of yeast is problematic but the idea that people who are unaccustomed to non-sterile beer will have gas when they start drinking it is absurd. Sierra Nevada and Boulevard wouldn't be in business if that were true.

My problem is the day after the home brew meeting. I chalk it up to new yeast strains and bottle conditioned beers that have been disturbed.

It's the oddest thing, whenever I drink a lot of bottle conditioned beers the dog gets really nasty, loud farts. I just can't explain it.

It's an amazing coincidence! It happens at my house to. The SWMBO gets so mad at the dogs they get put outside. Of course I always get the evil eye from the dogs now. I think they're plotting against me.

My dog just drinks my beer when I'm not looking. I've seriously had to start putting my pint glass on a shelf.

And he farts enough so as it is. He's 13, fer Crissake. He burps, he farts, he grumbles, he snores, he retches like an old man, he gets all the pretty young girls to fawn over him and tell him he's cute. Then he has the nerve to pinch my beer!

Harumph.

Bob

Back