Homebrew Canners - Can Seamers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_4338.JPG

First cans with new stickers. My canning guy sucks at putting on labels.

I want one bad but just can't pay the extra money. It seems canning doubles the finished cost and thats not even taking the cost of the machine into consideration. Cheers

I think the cost for each can is around 50 cents (not including the cost of can seamer).

Yup that's what's holding me back. I can't bring myself to spending 50c on the can to hold a 30c beer. Otherwise I'd LOVE to have one

There reusable and I get mine free. I guess if you were buying new bottles for some reason and throwing them away it might be the same. Cheers

looks like they've got a canner that's marketed towards the home brewer now.

looks like they've got a canner that's marketed towards the home brewer now.
I think you are talking about the Oktober designs one. I saw that and I am still glad I got the one I did. I like the way this works for adding automation to it. Once you start the motor, if you add one, it does all the rest. No need to move the dies in manually.

Thank you for the video. Did it come with motor, or you add it yourself?

Thank you for the video. Did it come with motor, or you add it yourself?
I added it. They have one with a motor but it is more money and I had one laying around that I knew would work fine.

I added it. They have one with a motor but it is more money and I had one laying around that I knew would work fine.

Drez, any chance you can repost or send me a pic of the motor part of the setup you built? Trying to do a similar thing - add a motor to the AA canner :) So excited to can with this thing!!!!!

The SL1 works great. Not as messy as people said it would be-the biggest "mess" was from the starsan draining from the cans. When I operate the canner, I place the lid, THEN turn it on, complete the seaming process, then turn off the drive motor. I stand close enough to it I catch what little flies off the cans. The canning process also creates a perception that the beer is better-had some during the superbowl and all that I put out was gone. I've also used it to can an old batch of mead too. I'll be canning hard seltzer, carbonated water, and tea too. 20200120_123445.jpg
20200120_123445.jpg

Back