Home Brewing tools, what's useful?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikescooling

Reaction score
Hey guys, most of us love tools and the work they do. What tools do you find useful? Let me start-off with a mixer attachment for the drill.

In use a stainless steel yardstick to measure the volume in the kettle because I'm too cheap to buy a sight glass and even lazier to calibrate one.

Stir paddle with markings for how many gallons in each of my pots . I cut them in and marked them with black paint .
My homemade false bottom. Best thing I have

BarefootFriar said:
IL1kebeer, I use a 5 gallon paint stir stick that I marked. Stainless sounds better, though.

I was going to go that route but I'm really lazy and didn't want to measure and mark anything. Since the yardstick has measurements already I could find the volume in inches with a formula. With my kettle every inch and a half is a gallon.

Ha ha ha! Here I was thinking that I was too lazy to do the math and just filled my pot a gallon at a time, drew a line with a sharpie and wrote "1G", "3G", etc. :D

My other tool that I just really am loving at the moment is my IC. In fact, I'm loving it so much I'm thinking about making a prechiller.

My fermentation chamber is the most useful by a long shot. That one tool has improved my beers more than anything else I have bought.

I am a pretty simplistic brewer though, I do not go for too many shiny toys though I really have much want.

My craftsman ratchet wrench. The two sizes available on either end are perfect for the two sizes of ball lock posts. makes braking down the kegs for cleaning a one tool job.

My craftsman ratchet wrench. The two sizes available on either end are perfect for the two sizes of ball lock posts. makes braking down the kegs for cleaning a one tool job.

+1 I just bought one of these, and it has been a lifesaver.

dolomieu said:
my craftsman ratchet wrench. The two sizes available on either end are perfect for the two sizes of ball lock posts. Makes braking down the kegs for cleaning a one tool job.

+1

Well,let's see...my cheapy store rubber mallet for tapping the lids in place on my buckets. The prying tool for easilly removing said tightly fitting lids. then there's the Super Agata bottle capper that has a buttonless adjustment for different bottle heights. And I def can't leave out my bottle tree & vinator. Speeds up bottling day. Using my 6G BB to get 5 gallons of local spring water in. Thern my nearly useless autosiphon to draw off gallons of spring water into my measuring vessel for mashing,etc. The measuring vessel is a SunnyD gallon jug marked off in quarts measured with a 2C measure. My 5G home depot orange bucket for storing bags of grains,& catching them when using my Barley Crusher. Those SunnyD jugs also come in handy for gallons of PBW & Starsan solutions.

Back