Home brew give you gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopFart

Reaction score
I brews my first batch and drank 5 of them last night. Today I sound like a 50 cc dirtbike and have been putting around my house clearing rooms, is the yeast bad for you or am I just not used to it? I'm scared to drink more of it because I don't want to blow a gasket. Do body's just adjust and do I just have to fight through some terrible gas for a while? The beer taste great so I don't think anythings wrong with it, just feel bad for my wife.

Strong username to post correlation.

To answer your question... I haven't noticed much more than with normal beer. You won't die from farting. In this case anyway.

I've heard of this before, though never affected me. It's not bad, lots of people get bad gas, your body will get used to it pretty quick.

According to SWMBO my digestive tract is one solid cement culvert chute, stuff goes in, stuff goes out. Homebrew never gave me gas, but, I always have gas, so it's sort of like peeing in an ocean of pee, you can't tell the difference.

Just make sure your wife drinks some as well to even things out...

No one deserves woman farts, basically gaseous paint stripper.

199590e.jpg

All beer no matter what the source is makes me rip ass... then again I am a gassy person so no more really than usual.

In all honesty I've had extract beers tear me up the next day. Not just gas but had me sitting on the toilet. I haven't noticed that with my all grain beers but I just started those and have been extract for over a year.

Bottle conditioned beers always give me bad gas (or is it good gas, because it's fun?), but I always drink the yeast at the bottom of the bottle. Keg beers don't.

No, the yeast is not bad for you.

Bottle conditioned beers always give me bad gas (or is it good gas, because it's fun?), but I always drink the yeast at the bottom of the bottle. Keg beers don't.

No, the yeast is not bad for you.

You should follow all that yeast with a big glass of sugary kool aid. Your belly can be the fermenter!

I've heard of this before, though never affected me. It's not bad, lots of people get bad gas, your body will get used to it pretty quick.

According to SWMBO my digestive tract is one solid cement culvert chute, stuff goes in, stuff goes out. Homebrew never gave me gas, but, I always have gas, so it's sort of like peeing in an ocean of pee, you can't tell the difference.

No one deserves woman farts, basically gaseous paint stripper.

Women don't fart. Everybody knows that.

While it hasn't ever happened to me, or my friends as far as I know, I have heard that one reason that gas occurs in people who start drinking homebrew is due to the more complex carbs (ogliosaccharides) that aren't normally consumed by light beer drinkers, at least not in the quantity.

What may help, if this is the case, is some Beano. You could try it, and see if it works until your body adjusts to the homebrew.

Ive noticed that any time you eat something alive and yer not used to it yet it will give you gas. You could try decanting the beer onto a glass. that should reduce the live yeast intake a bit. :2cents:

My father in law swirled and topped off his beer before I could stop him. Maybe it will be ok I thought. Just a bit of gas maybe the runs tomorrow. Right after dinner the yeast produced so much co2 in his belly he began throwing up like in snl skits.

The average person farts 18 times per day. And then there are liars.

If I don't drink yeast often enough then I get constipated.

This happens to me too. Usually if I let it sit in the bottle a couple weeks longer, the effects lessen...

If I drink commercial beer, I try to take Beano beforehand. If I don't, I risk my belly rumbling like a pissed off alien is about to erupt from it a couple hours after my first sip. I've decided to forego Carapils in my brews since my wife doesn't particularly enjoy my ripping of azz all evening. In fact, I don't either!

It's the yeast. You're fine. I fart a lot anyway so I never really noticed a difference when I started drinking homebrew.....

I'd argue that it's not the yeast. Any yeast that makes it into your stomach while still alive will be offed by the harsh acidic conditions inside your stomach. The argument that it's the dextrines and other non-fermentables in the beer makes much more sense because the bacteria in your stomach can ferment them, thus causing gas.

Maybe it is because you are drinking a carbonated beverage?!?!!???!?!????!!?

That co2 has to go somewhere. Either end will get you in trouble....

My body is weird. I've haven't had any problems with homebrews or commercial beer. However, everything I drink IPAs they find a way to mess with my body. I actually stopped drinking IPAs out in bars and only when I'm home. I always have to run to the bathroom.... :cross:

Latest posts

Back