Home brew destroyed my cell phone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wreckinball9

Reaction score
this sucks. :mad: i just dropped my cell phone into a pint of my Oktoberfest. of course it is fried. beer is bad for livers and for electronics. although the phone is replaceable, my liver - not so much. cant wait to see how much Verizon whacks me for a new one.

Hooray for the cell phone (I don't have one or a TV for that matter), but condolences on the Oktoberfest. You didn't need that monthly payment, did you?!?

My phone has been under water 3 times (Micro burst storm, wading while fishing, and loading my boat onto the trailer) as well as being dropped in a mop bucket of bleach and hot water.

Still kicking!!!

Actually one of my phones survived a trip through the washing machine. Luckily it was off due to a dead battery so I left it on the counter opened up for about a week before recharging the battery ad trying it again. It was my plan with the toilet swimming one last week too, but for some reason the wife decided to throw that one away.

Dropped my phone in the urinal at the pub while texting/peeing drunk. :drunk:

I'm not EVEN going to ask if you still have that phone.:D

wreckinball9 you DID leave it in the fermenter didn't you...You didn't go fishing for it...You know you're NEVER supposed to dig anything you drop in the fermenter out of it until racking day...It' sbad for the beer if you try getting stuff out of it...

Of course if you left it in you wouldn't have had to aerate it at all, just keep calling it and let the vibration do the work for you.

icon_204.gif

HAHA... I think a 40 dollar aeration kit is much cheaper...

Yeah...

I was cleaning my fridge one day and had a bucket of hot soapy water, on the floor in front of me. Of course that was just the excuse the phone needed to fly off my belt and go for a swim.

After it dried out it sort of worked for about a week, except when it got really humid.

It was too bad I had to get rid of it, the replacement was the same make, and style, but 2 or 3 years older...and it totally sucked. They moved the buttons around and added a camera that half the type turns itself on when you flip it open...kinda sucks.

ooooh, I think I'm due for an upgrade....:D

Funny beer did my cell phone in too.. I was taking the kids Trick or Treating for Halloween with a home brew in a big plastic cup.. Texting with one hand beer in the other.. Not good.. Spilled the beer right on the keyboard.. Worked for 2 more nights then the screen went black...

Had a cellphone I dropped in my toilet... luckily JUST before starting to do my... business. Already had a new one on the way for a warranty issue (don't remember what....).

Thing almost worked better after it's bath... for the week before I got the new one...

Good ol solid state electronics...

Course... don't ask me how coffee, a curious cat, and a laptop mix...

well this turned out to be a hilarious thread, thanks for the funny responses guys :mug:

at least i can justify upgrading to a new phone with internet capabilites, though it'll be mostly for checking HBT not for business.

plus it didnt die a horrible death of drowning in urine like some of yours...

My phone only worked as a "vibrator" for the first day after it went into the bleach. Everytime I hit the power button, I'd get the phone to vibrate until I let go...

After going through 3 cell phones in 4 months here is how to fix your drunken phone.

take the battery out and soak everything in isopropyl alcohol - this will replace all the liquid and wash the inside of teh phone - then place it in the oven on LOW for 3 hours.

Should work fine. DO NOT turn in on before doing this.

Did you know the toilet is the #1 thing for dunking phones with beer second?

When my phones go swimming. I pull the battery and them place the phone in a bag of rice and bread for a couple of days.

Although I think a dunk in Oktoberfest would need the isopropyl ****** mentioned a few posts up.

lost/watered four phones
1 went down the icehole
#2 went wading with me
#3 went sledding in the slush
#4 i dropped into the swamp duck hunting, dryed it out and it still works

I had one mulched by a golf course lawn mower. Collected the 1000 tiny pieces and took then into US Celluar who said they would fix broken phones . . . . . until I pull the 1000 tiny pieces out of my pocket!!

Droped my in the sons bath water on two different occasions. Immediately pulled it out of the water, removed the battery and placed it on the heat vent for a couple days and it continues to work. Wife sent hers through the laundry once, the camera no longer functions but it still works as a phone.

First time I ever received a brand new phone I was estatic, a few days later I figured it was okay if i texted while walking in the rain like I did with my old one. The keypad went on the fritz and I started getting 0000000000000, so I yanked the battery, put it in front of a hair dryer for 2 days. Now it works fine!

I recently bought the Casio G'zOne phone. Its completely waterproof. The phone itself kind of sucks. I take it in the shower, pool, drop it in beer, drop it in water. You name it.

Back