Home Brew and Filtration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majed41

Reaction score
Hi . I'm about to buy Reverse Osmosis Filter system and my goal is to use this Filter for hard Seltzer and sometimes flavored beer like smirnoff ice made in USA

So the goal is to remove any color and flavor and yeast
the filter have many stage process
the first one used 5 Micron then 1 Micron then 0.00001 Micron :rolleyes:

I'm really worried that 0.00001 Micron can actually strip alcohol from the liquid .

So my question is this > Can this 0.00001 Micron strip alcohol from the liquid ?

RO systems will aim to strip everything except water out. You can't really use them in this way at all.

Thanks . do you have any idea what Filtration system can be used for this purpose
remove color / flavor / yeast

So you want to make a beer, but then remove everything from it so it becomes a seltzer?

Can't you just make a seltzer?

So you want to make a beer, but then remove everything from it so it becomes a seltzer?

Can't you just make a seltzer?

it's mainly for seltzer . the goal is to remove everything and have mini vodka if you we can say that

it's mainly for seltzer . the goal is to remove everything and have mini vodka if you we can say that
I'm still not sure that I follow.

Let's say you use cane sugar, some neutral flavor distiller yeast and nutrients, you will have no color and barely no flavor. And you need less than that?

There are filtration systems that can remove yeast and other sediment. I don't think they're too common on the homebrew scale, but something like this would work:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/beer-filter-kit-10-canister.html
I'm not sure about after that, maybe some kind of carbon filter? I'm not sure how many gallons you'd get filtered per pound of carbon/charcoal until it saturates.

Do you want seltzer or vodka?

If you are wanting a more pure alcohol, maybe you need to be distilling?

I'm still not sure that I follow.

Let's say you use cane sugar, some neutral flavor distiller yeast and nutrients, you will have no color and barely no flavor. And you need less than that?

I try that and used Lutra yeast+ Propper seltzer and never got clean seltzer . always have this weird aroma . i see some people have better result with same yeast i don't know how they get that without some type of filtration

I saw a video of someone using a RO to process maple syrup. Was the gardenfork youtube channel as far as i remember. Anyway i thought it was interesting and made me jealous i dont live in the USA.

We have filtered our beer in the past. It does seem to improve stability and shelf life.
It is filtered with dual cartridge filters.
First a 5 micron filter followed by a 3 micron filter.
This works very well for beer. Might not work for you.

I saw a video of someone using a RO to process maple syrup. Was the gardenfork youtube channel as far as i remember. Anyway i thought it was interesting and made me jealous i dont live in the USA.
Common use of RO. In this use they throw out the pure water and keep the "waste water." It's a way to concentrate the syrup by pulling out some of it's water content.

Back