Holy yeast cakes, EdWort!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skifast1

Reaction score
Whoa, nelly - first batch of EdWort's haus ale is in the secondary and I couldn't believe the size of the cake in my bucket. Almost 1/2" deep! I felt bad not having a new batch ready to pitch on top of it.

I started brewing under the wyeast/white labs school of thought, but I may have to start keeping extra packets of dry Nottingham on hand. Per Ed's instructions, no starter, not even any hydration with this batch, just pitched 2 packets straight into the chilled wort. This recipe (so far) is definitely a positive AG experience. I highly recommend this recipe for other AG n00bies like me.
:mug:

My ingredients had been sitting in the closet for a few weeks and I noticed the package said 'Keep refrigerated', so I double-pitched to be safe; I've had some less-than-optimal results with stale liquid yeast

I'm pissed. I too am doing Ed's Haus Ale as my first all-grain (his apfelwein was my first home fermentation) and got the grains in this evening. Unfortunately, I forgot to order the Nottingham yeast when I placed my order and my LHBS doesn't carry it.

Ed, I've got a WL California Ale yeast, a WLP #002 (English Ale?) and a Wyeast 1098 British Ale (Can you guess where my favourite styles come from?) on hand - would you recommend any of them? Perhaps a Safale 05 which my LHBS carries?

The other option is order a dozen packets of nottingham (since it's not readily availible to me) this week and do my Rogue Mocha Porter clone as my first all-grain and do the Haus Ale later.

Kevin Dean said:
I'm pissed. I too am doing Ed's Haus Ale as my first all-grain (his apfelwein was my first home fermentation) and got the grains in this evening. Unfortunately, I forgot to order the Nottingham yeast when I placed my order and my LHBS doesn't carry it.

Ed, I've got a WL California Ale yeast, a WLP #002 (English Ale?) and a Wyeast 1098 British Ale (Can you guess where my favourite styles come from?) on hand - would you recommend any of them? Perhaps a Safale 05 which my LHBS carries?

The other option is order a dozen packets of nottingham (since it's not readily availible to me) this week and do my Rogue Mocha Porter clone as my first all-grain and do the Haus Ale later.

California or Safale-05 will work fine.

EdWort said:
Congrats. I only use 1 packet for 5 gallons though. Nottingham kicks butt!
I used one packet (hydrated for 1 hour) split into a ten gallon batch of Old Speckled Hen and still had rapid, robust fermentation. Hit terminal gravity in 36 hours on a 1.056 beer.

Of course I'm a cheap ass so I harvested and washed for my next brew later that week... :D

BM, you are the only guy I know who squeezes 10 gallons out of a packet of dry Nottingham and then spends I don't know how much of your valuable time to wash the yeast to save a buck fiddy.

Perhaps you should change your handle to YeastSqueezer. :D

BierMuncher said:
Yeah...but do that 1 million times? You do the math..... ;)

Ok, I gotcha Mr. Finance guy. Here's your new avatar. :D

scrooge.jpg

Now we just need to photoshop it to BierMuncherize it.

The Haus Ale has been a real treat for me, since it got me started in AG. I am now going through my *second* batch which was pitched ontop of the first Nottingham yeast cake... fabulous activity for 2 days, then slow die off.

No secondary. Bottled after 2 weeks...carbonated in abt 4-5 days. I am determined this time to keep at least 1 6 pack more than 4 weeks !

Did not try a third generation on the Nottingham, but what a time saver it is re-pitching ... worth a 150 cents to me !

Nottingham is nice. I've used it a few times on some diffrent stouts with excelent results.

I even forgot to re-hydrate and just pitched it dry into a 1.086 wort with positive results. The airiation with O2 and a stone may have helped.

Back