Holy Efficiency!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitokiri

Reaction score
So today I brewed my second all grain batch, using my cooler mash tun for the 3rd time (had one PM before my first AG). My 2 previous mashes had efficiencies of 67% and 71%. So for my third time doing a mash, I figured i would shape my grain bill around 70% efficiency.

Here is my recipe:

4.5 gallon boil, ~3.5 gallon final
3.75 lb maris otter
1.5 lb FLaked Barley
.75 lb Roasted Barley
1.5 oz acidulated malt

1.25 oz Willamette @ 60

This is BierMuncher's Guiness clone. Preboil gravity read 1.043! Which I calculate to be 88.8% efficiency! So much for a dry stout. I've watered it down a bit and have yet to take my OG (cooling), but what could have caused such an efficiency jump? My sparge process has been 100% the same for each of the brews.

My only ideas are:

I usually mash in with about 1.25 qt/lb of grain. This time it probably ended up at about 1.5-1.75 qt/lb due to issues hitting my temp.

I ground the flaked barley due to ignorance. Not sure if this would do anything.

Any ideas? I'm just not at all sure what to estimate my next batch at. :\

Two observations that you probably have already considered: did you adjust for temperature and is your volume accurate?

Also, for what its worth, for the purposes of using Beersmith, I use the original gravity, not the preboil gravity, to calculate brewhouse efficiency. Once locked in (which for me is 70%), its been very consistent - in other words, the OG Beersmith has predicted in my recipes have been very accurate come brew day.

Good luck!

+1 the best thing you can do for yourself is get a program and stick to it. Based on that you can dial yourself in. I also use beersmith. One of the best things you can do... period, when you start AG brewing.

Thanks guys. I have yet to purchase brewsmith but it sounds like a worthwhile investment.

Pappers, I was spot on with my volumes and I did adjust for wort temp. Technically it really shouldn't matter if you base your efficiency off preboil or original gravity, should it? You should come out with the same result.

And I myself just realized that I did have one big change with this mash that I did not take into consideration. I did an 80 minute mash rather than 60 (dar!). However, everything I've read has said that most enzyme activity takes place in the first 15 minutes of your mash. I'm still suprised at that 88.8 figure.

Did you switch grain suppliers or adjust your mill? I know from Midwest I can expect 75% vs. the 82 and 85% I got with brewmasters yesterday.

I get all my grain from my LHBS and use their mill. I will ask them, but I really doubt they would make adjustments without posting something to let the regulars know.

Back