HolidayGift for a Senior

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob_Marley

Reaction score
Many of us have family members in their 70’s and older whom we will be buying gifts for this year.

I do ... and this Christmas I am going to give a subscription to the local newspaper , The Detroit Free Press (print edition).
Even though in our area the paper only comes out three days a week now including Sunday, it is a gift that gives all week long ... and every day for most older readers.

Local newspapers have been a central part of American daily life since our Country’s founding ... and I know my mom has missed it in recent years. And as well newspapers badly need subscribers to stay in business in these tough times.

Newspapers and the traditional journalistic coverage they provide has, since the founding of our Country, been one of the pillars of checks & balances in society, and besides are one of the very best ways of keeping connected to the community.

You can’t get any more “Buy American” than this.
Let me suggest considering giving a gift subscription this holiday, even for just a few months, for someone you know.

The Dallas Morning News wanted to give me free newspaper delivery for a month. I turned them down. I prefer to consume news in other formats, and only occasionally MSM in any case. I can see the appeal for some people though, and I don't disagree that a newspaper subscription makes a fine gift for people who are inclined to read it. For my part, I can't get over the profligate consumption of paper in an era when less resource-intensive means of disseminating news is available. The fact that newspapers can be recycled, and perhaps largely are, doesn't make it seem any less wasteful to me.

The Dallas Morning News wanted to give me free newspaper delivery for a month. I turned them down. I prefer to consume news in other formats, and only occasionally MSM in any case. I can see the appeal for some people though, and I don't disagree that a newspaper subscription makes a fine gift for people who are inclined to read it. For my part, I can't get over the profligate consumption of paper in an era when less resource-intensive means of disseminating news is available. The fact that newspapers can be recycled, and perhaps largely are, doesn't make it seem any less wasteful to me.

You have a valid point and there is a LOT of other waste too. Packaging for example has got out of hand. Take a bottle of asprin...like 70-80% empty space.

But to the topic, I for one spend way too much time in front of a computer screen and cherish a nice quiet Saturday morning with a cup of coffee and a newspaper. So nice to get away from a computer screen. We don't have a subscription but once in a while we pick one up.

Same with books, I would much rather read a good old paper book then read it on a computer. Then again I am old too. :D

Back