Holiday Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OwenH89

Reaction score
I'm wanting to brew a warm holiday beer for the upcoming season. I was thinking about getting Midwest's porter kit and adding some kind of combination of anise, vanilla, cocoa, oak, and bourbon (probably not all of these but at least a couple). From what I've read, this would be approaching the same realm as NB bourbon barrel porter but would be a little less costly and have room for more creativity. Any suggestions on how to go about doing this? Has anyone succeeded with a porter along the same lines? If so, how?

Just posting something else to get this thread back to the top where people can see it. Hopefully someone can help...

All good ideas. If you go with cocoa, May I suggest a couple if vanilla beans with it? It helps to bring out the chocolate flavor. Maybe some holiday spices along with it.

I did a Fuller's clone and racked a gallon to a side jug for experimenting, while I bottled the remaining 4 gallons. For the exp. I lightly grinded 8 oz of coffee beans and added that to 12 oz of bourbon. Cold steeped it in the frig for 3 days. Filtered, filtered, and filtered again before adding it to the brew just before bottleing. I know it will raise my abv and hopefully the tastes will blend over time. It should be ready around the mid of december. I will try one and leave the rest (I hope I have the will power) until march or so. Williamsburg Alewerks has a wonderful Bourbon Barrel Porter that I love.

Almost like an Irish coffee brew? Interesting. I know that Bells uses licorice in their porter... Any recommendations on how to incorporate this or anise with bourbon and coffee?

Soak the anise in bourbon & lightly ground coffee beans and then filter it and dump it in. You could add it to a secondary or add it at bottleing like I did. I am bottle aging mine for at least 4 months. If you don't want to do that, then I would recommend going with the secondary for several weeks and then bottle/keg.

Back