Holiday Brew Idea. Input please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldfish

Reaction score
Female freind is considering getting herself a brewkit. Before she does though she wants to watch me brw a batch to see if she would be abel to handle hte entire process. I told her for this I'd let her pick the type to be brewed. She wantsa nice dark beer likea guiness but she wants it flavored with ginger and molasses so it will taste kind of like gingerbread.

The recipe im going to shoot for here is:

9lbs 2Row Pale Ale Malt
1lb Chocolate malt
1lb Barley
1lb Oatmeal
2oz Fresh Ginger
~35IBU's worth of Challenger hops @60min

Ferment 7-10 days.
Transfer to secondary and add sliced ginger ~4oz(kinda like you get with sushi)

This much I think should work. The only part I'm not too sure about is hte molasses. I was thinking about using it for priming so that it wouldn't break down quite as much and maintain its flavor more. Or is that not an issue and should I add it during the boil?

Comments/Ideas please.

That might be a bit too much ginger, IMHO. Fresh ginger has a very strong flavor, and you're taking about putting 6 oz of it in the beer.

As for the molasses.... I don't know how you would be able to calculate the proper amount to use for priming. You'd have to experiment to see how much of the molasses is actually fermentable.

Personally, I'd just put the molasses in the boil. The flavor should come through fine.

I put 3 oz of it in my porter, and you can detect it, but if you want it to stick out and be very noticable, you'd probably have to use more.

-walker

i put about 8oz of molasses into my gingerbread beer during the boil. i also used a few crushed cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, ginger root, and cloves.
i just transferred to my secondary, and the molasses flavor is noticeable. im going to use a bit more with priming sugar, but i understand that might not add much flavor.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll post the final recipe tommorrow after we get it brewed.

You may want to throw some specialty malts inthere to help out with a bready or biscuity taste, maybe use some 6 row for some added grainyness

Ok as promised heres the final recipe that was used.

9lbs 2Row British Pale Ale Malt
1lb German Chocolate Rye malt
1lb Flaked Barley
1lb Flaked Oats
3/4cup Molasses Mid Dark Unsulphered
~3oz Fresh Grated Ginger
1TBS Nutmeg
2TBS Cinnamon
1.25 oz Challenget hops 8%AAU 90min

Let me just say that this was the most troublesome brew ever. The manifold on my lauter tun must have clogged at least 5 times while sparging. Note to self: Always put oats and barley on top.

The final product (preyeast) was a little bitter formy tastes but hopefully that will mellow out over hte next few weeks.

FYI: Allspice is really awesome in dark holiday beers (see Anchor Christmas). You might try adding some to secondary.

I brewed a stout with as much as 1.5# of blackstrap. I liked it but found that dark belgian candi syrup works just as good.

- WW

Latest posts

Back