Holiday beer recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
Hello, considering brewing a holiday/Christmas ale. Something with flavors of cinnamon, cloves, Nutmeg .... that sort of thing. Thinking of using dark sorghum, candy syrup, maybe some honey, hops and some of the aforementioned spices. Would appreciate any recipes or suggestions on amounts of the spices too add and at what time during the process. Thanks very much.

Naa, I dont know anything about GF brewing, but I have used spices a lot and there are several ways of doing it. My go to when using spices is to do a vodka tincture, use about a cup or two of good vodka and put the spices in and shake regularly while the beer ferments. Then you can add to taste when bottle/kegging. Other options are to put the spices in the boil, usually near the end, about 5-10 mins before flame off. With holiday spices I have used a stick or two of cinnamon and between a tsp and tbs of the other spices in my tinctures. One thing is that nutmeg can get overpowering quickly so start slow. I hope this helps. :mug:

Heres a non-GF recipe that i found that looks super tasty:
Autumn Seasonal Beer - Lady Rumpkin Pumpkin Rum Ale

One thing I've learned is that i hate the taste of extracts so i'm going to try the canned purée of pumpkin instead of a pumpkin extract or similar.

Also if you head to glutenfreehomebrewing.com and search pumpkin under recipes there are 6 or so available. Most of them have the spices being added in the last 10 minutes of the boil. One had spices being added to the bottling bucket but i'm not sure if that is a great idea unless you sanitize them similar to the suggestion above.

Heres the best non-pumpkin 'holiday beer' i found although ironically its called 'pumpkin spice ale':
Roasted Pumpkin Ale - All-grain - Gluten Free Homebrewing

Just an update: the ladyrumpkin link has alot of info on making a spiced rum 'tea'. Definitely worth reading through most of the thread.

Back