Hole Size screw up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might take a bit of work but you could probably get a leak free connection.

If it will not seal you could solder a stainless steel washer over the hole (if your kettle/keg is stainless steel) or you could go to an even bigger hole and use a reducing bushing.

I would try the connection with the locknut and oring and see how well it seals first before going to the next steps.

Really work the valve open and closed with the kettle filled with water to see if you can break the seal and make it leak before you brew with it.

So i went to drill the holes for the 1/2" ball valve today and i think i may have messed up. There are 2 kegs and one went fine but the other one i think i drilled to big (15/16"). what are my options? Will a 1/2" assembly still fit? or is there a larger valve that i can get? any help would be great. thanks

Cheers

what are some other options for a weldless ball valve? I was trying to drill a 7/8" hole that is required for the installation of a 1/2" ball valve. problem is i drilled a 15/16" hole. will a 1/2" valve still work for this?

Cheers

So i went to drill the holes for the 1/2" ball valve today and i think i may have messed up. There are 2 kegs and one went fine but the other one i think i drilled to big (15/16"). what are my options? Will a 1/2" assembly still fit? or is there a larger valve that i can get? any help would be great. thanks

Cheers

Check with your local plumbing supply or hardware store and pick up some gasket material. Either rubber or whatever material they have and cut out a gasket. I've had to do that and it works fine.

Yikes this is the 3rd thread about this in the past 24 hours. I have an aluminum pot which I need to drill later this week and now feel a little nervous.

Yikes this is the 3rd thread about this in the past 24 hours. I have an aluminum pot which I need to drill later this week and now feel a little nervous.

Don't be nervous just don't rush it. Be sure to have all your fittings and thermometers before you start your drilling. Also keep in mind that aluminium is softer then steel so you will not need to push as hard. Use your fitting as guides to hole sizes. Don't do what I did and just drill. It's a bad plan.

options get the gasket material, or what i did i had an odd sized hole in my mashtun, drilled it out for the size of an electric element, got the weldess electric element kit, and a stainles bushing from buyfittingsonline.com that went from 1inch npt to 1/2 npt and put a thermometer in it.

I did it a couple of hours ago and fitted my bargain fittings bulkhead. All went well. I had a little drip so applied more teflon tape. It seemed to do the trick.

I just have to drill one more hole now for the thermometer when I get it later this week.

Back