Hole size for heater element, malt pipe mesh size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TypicalNerveCell

Reaction score
After waiting 5 months I have gotten my new stock pots, which will become my next brewing setup in due time. IMG_20200823_212728.jpg
I plan on using hole punchers, but I'm wondering if anyone has used them for this specific heater element? If so, what size?
I'm thinking 32.5mm should do the trick, but do tell. US $26.8 |Dernord 230v 3500w 1

I also need to get some kind of filter for the malt pipe bottom. I started a thread way back but never got any responses for
which size mesh to go with. Any suggestions?

I made my mash basket from 400 mesh (~40 micrometer hole size) mesh. It works well.

These guys here say 1" NPT requires a clearance hole of 1.25", which is 31.75mm, so a bit less than 32.5mm.

Thanks! Will see if I can find that size mesh from someone willing to ship to Norway.

Seems a hole puncher that size is available on ebay, so that should do it.

For my basket I only triple-folded the top edge, in order to hide the open edge of the mesh. Seems to work ok. This is a 10 inch diameter basket, about nine inch tall, with two U-shaped supports bent from 1/8 inch thick stainless steel. The mesh is riveted to the U's. Here is the link to the original post. Other people have built nicer baskets...

Last edited:
Thanks, I should be good then as the plan so far is to just make a cutout in the malt pipe stockpot, so there will be supports for the filter mesh.

Latest posts

Back