Heating element scrub brush recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olie

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good, sturdy "tubular" scrub brush for my heating elements; any recommendations?

NOTE: I've used large scrubbing brushes and scrubby-sponges. I'm looking for something specifically shaped and designed to wrap around heating-element-sized tubes and scrub them without damaging (so: not steel brushes, but sturdy plastic or similar material).

I'm imagining something sort of "C" shaped -- maybe it looks kind of like pipe insulation, but made out of scrubby-material instead of foam.

I understand that I could make something, but I'd rather not; my preference is to source a well-manufactured tool and use that.

Would love to hear y'all's recommendations for things you've used & loved.

Thanks!
~Ted

EDIT: Pic added in reply, below.

EDIT-2: Found a decent solution. Links to (2) products in my replies-to-self, below.

Still curious if anyone has anything better but, for now, these will do the trick.

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_4578.png
    IMG_4578.png
    706.9 KB · Views: 0
Ooo, I found something that's kind of like what I was thinking -- a "cutlery brush" (for scrubbing knives without cutting your hands).

The "big feature" for me was "wraps around the heating element" -- the "C" shape thing.

I won't get it until tomorrow, but I think this is probably the thing I want.

...Unless I find that it can't reach the inner shafts, which will be sad but not surprising.

Anyway, I'm looking at this (AMAZON).

Last edited:
Would somthing like this help?
Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried a bunch of "normal" scrubbies and have found getting into all the little ins & outs of the elements difficult. Hence my thinking I want something "C" shape (but, now that I've ordered one, I'm wondering if it will only do 2/3 of the job -- will report back).

I can use a "normal" toilet brush to shove down the center and get all the insides, and then to scrub the 6-points around the outside, but there's still a bunch of element that's very difficult to reach.

More news as I find things that do/don't work. :)

I'd attach something like that to a drill to help with scrubbing and just move it back n forth. Could save the forearms.

I'd attach something like that to a drill to help with scrubbing and just move it back n forth. Could save the forearms.
Forearm pain isn't the issue.

"Can't reach all the little nooks & crannies" [easily] is the issue.

(Obviously, I can get at them, eventually; I'm just trying to simplify life.)

Ok, I think I have a decent solution.

The product I linked above (the sort of "C" shaped scrubbie thing) does a pretty decent job, but is too big to reach the insides of each loop. The thing that REALLY let me get into all the little crevices was (THIS) bad boy.

NOTE: While decent scrub brushes and inexpensive, that 2nd one is not super-study/industrial strength. I ended up super-gluing the 2 halves of the handle/frame together, so it wouldn't pop apart.

Other than that, it was perfectly small enough to get in but big/scrubby enough to do the job; the rubber/silicon (not plastic) scrubbing bristles are nice, too. (Used with a Jack In The Box soda cup full of PBW :) ).

Back