Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcox6294

International brewer and man of mystery
Reaction score
Hola from sunny Mexico!
I have been brewing for a few years now, in the US, Shanghai and now Queretaro, MX. I have always used this forum as a resource to figure out "how to recover from mistakes" and of course my favorite "brew rig ideas". So thanks to all of you who made the same mistakes and posted about it and thanks for the brew rig ideas!

I know I have met a few of you when my wife and I lived in Shanghai, so 你好 and 好久不见! Hola and hello to everyone else here as well.

Since we move around a lot, the real challenge for my brew rig is that it must be portable. I am still making 5 gallon batches, but have cobbled together a recirculating mash system using an old 3 gallon pot, chugger pump, copper chiller coil and sousvide stick. I have made a few brews with it and the only thing I am unhappy about are the temperature losses from the HLT to Mash Tun, which is about 4 degrees centigrade. To improve this I am upgrading to a 10 gallon cooler for my mash tun, shortening and insulating all my silicone lines and adding insulation to my HLT.

The other thing that has changed is that the name of the brewery is now "The Dusty Rooftop". I know the name might leave you guessing as to where I have set up shop..., but there is nothing like brewing under the blue sky here in Mexico. Some people have a man cave, I have a rooftop. If you are in Querétaro and up for joining a brew day, look me up.

Hola amigo. Sounds like you are getting your system dialed in. I wish I could come down and spend a few days.

Hola! It looks like the closest I ever get is Guanajuato. The craft beer scene in mexico is picking up, I have had some decent brews in the last couple of years.

I would say the craft brew scene here in Mexico is where we were in the US about 10 - 15 years ago. There are some good breweries here. If you are in Queretaro you definitely need to pay a visit to Cerveceria Hercules. The Hurican double IPA is one of the best I have had here. Every week our local grocery store has beers from a few new microbreweries from around the region. It is exciting.

Back