Hoff stevens keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big10Seaner

Reaction score
I have a hoff stevens 7.75 gallon keg and I'm looking for a bung for it. Does anyone know any online sites to order one?

I use Sanke's and an Orange Carboy Cap stretches nice & tight over the top, maybe that would work for you as well?

I'm looking for a wooden bung so I can use the keg to dispense beer through a hoff Stevens tap on the top.

I'm looking for a wooden bung so I can use the keg to dispense beer through a hoff Stevens tap on the top.

Ahhhh, I see. So you've got a really old bung style keg kind of like a firkin. I'd imagine you could probably purchase a large oak dowel and cut it down then sand it on a belt sander (to make the taper) if you wanted an actual wooden bung.

You could make your own wooden bungs by turning some tapered plugs from oak or maple 4x4 on a lathe, but unless you already have a wood lathe that sounds like a PITA to me.

I've got a couple of Hoff-Stevens kegs. I've cut one and build it into a keggle. To plug the bung hole I use a large drilled silicone bung (stopper) usually used a stoppers with and air lock for fermenting wine in large 15+ gal demijohn jugs. For the keggle I insert the bung thru the bung hole from the inside out. A SS elevator bolt goes thru the airlock hole from the inside out. Outside a piece of SS plate spans the bung hole in the keg. A SS wingnut threaded on the elevator bolt outside the plate pulls the bung into the bung hole from the inside and holds it tight and 100% leak free in the hole, even if I whack the inside of the bung while stirring. I used an elevator bolt instead of a hex head or carridge bolt because it's got a broad flat head that easily self seals against the silicone bung without damaging the bung or pulling thru. To make the keggle easy to carry around I just pop riveted on a couple of hardware store gate handles.

I'd imagine you could use a similar bung setup in a serving keg except you'd need to reverse everything to push the bung into the bung hole from the outside in, just like the original wooden bungs. You'd need to figure out how to wiggle the piece of plate thru the hole to get it and the bolt inside. I haven't tried it, but I'd bet it wouldn't be that hard to do. Then the bolt would be used to push the bung into the bung hole from the outside in. If you use all SS parts and silicone bung it's all beer safe and easy to clean and reuse.

Have a look here for pics of the keggle with a large drilled rubber stopper before replaced it with a silicone one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56069029@N06/5186425228/in/set-72157625414612096/

BTW, my other Hoff-Steven keg isn't used right now, but I'm in the process of making it into a fermenter. I have it placed on it's side supported in an X shaped frame high enought on gravity feed into corny kegs. Another silicone bung with an airlock this time goes in the bung hole placed in the up position. I'm making a bent SS tube racking arm for the smaller keg top fitting (2-prong keg coupler and dip tube removed) that will also be sealed with a drilled stopper held in place with another piece of SS plate that locks onto the top fitting flange key. A small compression fitting, ball valve, hose barb, and vinyl tube on the outside end of the racking arm to drain it into corny kegs completes the fermenter design.

Back