Hoff Stevens Keg Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikN

Reaction score
I recently acquired a Hoff Stevens Yuengling keg and am planning on converting it to a brew kettle. Are there any major drawbacks to using this type of keg? I know Sanke is the standard but the price was right.

I didn't even know what a Hoff Stevens keg was, but after searching on the web and looking at pictures a couple thoughts occur to me:
1. They look tipsy, so make sure it will sit firmly on your burner without fear of cascading 10g of boiling wort.
2. No handles...make sure you don't have to move your keg while there is wort in it (so it must sit high enough while boiling to drain into your fermentor, or you must employ a pump).
C) Depending on where the bung is, you might be able to reuse it for your valve, but if it's in the center of the keg you'll want to make sure it's good and tight and won't leak during boiling.

If the price is right I'd definitely give it a try.

What did you end up using the Hoff Stevens keg for? There are some for sale in my area and I'd like to know if i'd be wasting my time and money on them or if you can use them as a keggle etc.

What did you end up using the Hoff Stevens keg for? There are some for sale in my area and I'd like to know if i'd be wasting my time and money on them or if you can use them as a keggle etc.

I had two of them that I found in my Dad's shed. I cut one for a keggle and it works great. Handles are easy to add. I just pop riveted two big galv. gate handles to the top. Valve attchment is the basically the same as a Sankey keg. It actually drains a little better than a Sankey if you build a slotted draining tube for the outside ring in the bottom of the keg because a good whilpool keeps the trub in the center bottom depression away from the siphon ring. Also mine is more stable than a Sankey on my turkey fryer burner because the way the keg bottom fits tightly in the burner ring. I can't even kick it over full or empty, unlike a Sankey that knocks over pretty easily. However, that may vary with a different burner shape or size. I'd sure check the burner fit first for either Hoff-Stevens or Sankey because the last thing you want is 5-10 gal of boiling wort on you shoes.

Back