Hobgoblin design a brew clone advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davrosh

Reaction score
I am going to brew a hobgoblin 'clone' using a Design a Brew pack from Abbey Homebrew in Leeds and would appreciate any advice on how best to go about it. For anyone not familiar with the design a brew range, they are basically customisable kits where you can choose from a range of malt extract bases, grain 'character' teabags, and hops teabags. I haven't tried one yet and it is only my third brew so I am still a bit wet behind the ears.

Basically, I have got together the ingredients for their 'Goblin in Hobnail Boots' recipe taken from their recipe booklet. It consists of 2x no3 medium (ale/bitter) bases (30 ebc, 40 ebu), 2x 100g crushed crystal malt teabags, 1x 50g crushed chocolate malt teabag, 1x 20g styrian goldings hop teabag, 1x 20g fuggles hop teabag, and a sachet of their own yeast.

The instructions state to simmer each teabag at least 2 litres of water at 64-66c for a minimum of 20 mins. Now first off, my pan can hold 7 litres, and I am not sure doing all at the same time would be the best idea anyway. So, would it be a good idea to maybe do the three grain bags first, and then the hops and if so, all together, separate, or staggered? The instructions in the recipe leaflet are a bit different to the instructions for each teabag and I assume how you approach this could have a major effect on your beer.

So, I would massively appreciate any advice from someone a bit more experienced than myself (possibly someone out there has even made this kit?).

Cheers in advance.

Haven't made the kit, but I have made Orfy's Hobgoblin clone a couple of times and it was really good. Maybe reading through his steps would assist you.

B

Latest posts

Back