Hmm... Did i mess up or will it be delicious?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citingzero

Reaction score
I've got a Scottish Light Ale (from midwest) fermenting right now. It's been going for about 2 weeks, so last night I decided it was about time to add the oak chips. I boiled some water, tossed in the oak chips.... glanced at my spice cabinet and dumped some cinnamon in the boiling water with the oak chips. I'm not sure cinnamon really works with the style (especially since Christmas is gone). It was just an impulse thing. I didn't measure it, but I didnt put a ton in (didnt want it to be too strong). So I'm just looking for your predictions... great or gross?

I've got a Scottish Light Ale (from midwest) fermenting right now. It's been going for about 2 weeks, so last night I decided it was about time to add the oak chips. I boiled some water, tossed in the oak chips.... glanced at my spice cabinet and dumped some cinnamon in the boiling water with the oak chips. I'm not sure cinnamon really works with the style (especially since Christmas is gone). It was just an impulse thing. I didn't measure it, but I didnt put a ton in (didnt want it to be too strong). So I'm just looking for your predictions... great or gross?

How much cinnamon are we talking about here? I typically add cinnamon sticks as apposed to ground. I'm not sure I would have thrown it in the beer, but go ahead and taste it out of your fermenter and see what you think. Spices and oak tend to fade with time, so you might be able to wait it out.

Maybe a tablespoon? I'm thinking that since I put it in boiling water with the chips and drained the chips before adding to the fermenter, the only cinnamon that actually made it in was whatever was stuck to the oak. I'm not really worried about. I was just thinking to myself and wanted to see what others thought.

Kinda what I was thinking. However, I know cinnamon can sometimes be over powering. I use a tiny bit in chili and you def know its there

Back