Hitting the mitic Barley Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MastahMan

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

After a successfull Pilsener and Bock testing, i decided to hit the barley wine recipe, for it is a more worked recipe, since the 6th hour i noticed intense fermentation, which has gone on for more than 48 hours, left a video for it.

so im feelint great, relaxed i know there's a long way to go but im feeling confused for all the information on the web, some suggest 2 weeks fermenting, some suggest a couple months and some years. What could be a recommended time for it? my natural answer would be to wait for the gravity in the wort to drop untill 1/4 or 1/5 of the OG

also for my technique i usually ferment in one recipient and then let it rest in another recipient for a week, is this recommendable for barley wine? when i swap should i filter most of the precipitated material? i've read many who recommend to just bottle it directly from the fermenter.

thanx for anyone who has the patience to read and guide me in this.

greetings!

a happy brewer :) :rockin:

Last edited by a moderator:
For a barleywine I'd let it sit at least a month in the primary fermenter; even longer if possible.

If you want to use a secondary, just siphon the beer and leave the sludge behind. Don't try to filter it, everything will settle out. But with big beers you need to give it time.

What was the recipe? What was the original gravity?

For a barleywine I'd let it sit at least a month in the primary fermenter; even longer if possible.

If you want to use a secondary, just siphon the beer and leave the sludge behind. Don't try to filter it, everything will settle out. But with big beers you need to give it time.

What was the recipe? What was the original gravity?

I second the long primary. I left my barley wine in primary for about 6 weeks and when i transfered to secondary it already tasted amazing.

if it were me, i'd do the month in primary like these fellas suggested and then bottle it and tuck those suckers away for at least 6 months. you could bulk age in secondary for a while if you want, but i don't think there's any really huge benefit bulk aging compared to aging in the bottle.

I also did a 6 week primary on mine, OG 1.112, samples tasted great. At 3 weeks in the bottle it is starting to carb up nicely. I doubt this one will last long enough to be aged 6 months. Long primaries are golden.

hmm, OG was 1.090. ok then, i'll give it 4 weeks in primary, swap it to secondary for 2 weeks and then bottle it and let it rest at least 2 months... how does that sound?

thx for all the replies everyone

hey all, regarding the trespass from primary to secondary, i have a 190 micron filtration net, special for cooking purpouses, should i use it to filter most of the suspended material that might come off?

read in papazians book that the limit for yeast is 10 microns, so i'm guessing this would do.

greets

so the trespass you recommend me to do it aerating it the less posible? i use a spigot but my complication comes with the oxidated layer that always apears on top of the wort, which is complicated to handle.

all the sedimented material should not go to secondary right? most of it i guess would be hops and yeast

Latest posts

Back