Hitting my IBU target - Believe recipe or Brew Father?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Matheos

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I have a brewday coming up on Friday and could use some input on this dilemma of mine.
So I am brewing this simple Red Ale Recipe: Ruabeoir Red Ale
  • 11.25 lbs (5.1 kg) British pale malt
  • 6.0 oz (170 g) Crystal (40 °L)
  • 6.0 oz (170 g) Crystal (120 °L)
  • 6.0 oz (170 g) Roasted Barley (300 °L)
  • 1.25 oz (35 g) Kent Goldings hops, 5% AA (60 min)
  • White Labs WLP004 Irish Ale, Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale, or Fermentis Safale US-05

Yield: 6 gallons (22.7 L)

Original Gravity: 1.054 (13.4 °P)

Final Gravity: 1.014 (3.6 °P)

ABV: 5.20%

IBU: 25

SRM: 17

Boil Time: 60 minutes

Efficiency: 70%

I always input all the ingredients that I will use into brew father in order to get a good idea of if I am hitting the IBU targets, sparge water and so on.
So I did that, and having input everything the same as the recipe (though, I have my own Equipment profile which obviously affects a bit), I realised that I am undershooting the given IBU target by a whole lot.
Link to my brewfather recipe: Brewfather
I cannot figure out why. I have the same AA on the hops in brew father as the ones given in the recipe. Everything else is also about the same.
Through googling I found a replica of this recipe which someone had input into brewersfriend, and here the IBUs look about correct: Irish Red Ale (Ruabeoir) | Irish Red Ale BIAB Beer Recipe | Brewer's Friend (at least way closer).
The hops I got from my homebrew shop were only 4,4AA though, so I will obviously adjust my recipe for that, but I would first like to figure out why I cannot replicate the exact recipe, even as well as the guy on brewersfriend?

Should I stick with brewfather and do a bittering addition of 55g(!) of 4,4AA hops (according to brewfather), or should I stick with the recipe + adjusting for lower AA?

dmtaylor

Lord Idiot the Lazy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
You have been inconsistent with your batch sizes. On the first recipe posted above, it's 6 gallons. In Brewfather, it's 25L which is 6.6 gallons. Then on Brewer's Friend, it's 5.5 gallons. So you have a volume decision to make.

It doesn't help that the Brewfather calculation is not giving you an accurate IBU calculation. Personally for 6 gallons I calculate 23 IBU (assuming 5% alpha). The value of 18 is low even if corrected for volume.

Pick your volume. Then pick a calculator other than Brewfather.

OP
OP
M

Matheos

Reaction score
You have been inconsistent with your batch sizes. On the first recipe posted above, it's 6 gallons. In Brewfather, it's 25L which is 6.6 gallons. Then on Brewer's Friend, it's 5.5 gallons. So you have a volume decision to make.

It doesn't help that the Brewfather calculation is not giving you an accurate IBU calculation. Personally for 6 gallons I calculate 23 IBU (assuming 5% alpha). The value of 18 is low even if corrected for volume.

Pick your volume. Then pick a calculator other than Brewfather.
Google tells me 5.5 gallons is 25L. I now realise this is obviously wrong... Maybe it uses some "Other gallon"... Can't get my head around the imperical system haha...
1646914191271.png

Hence why I assumed these two were comparable.

But bottom line, ye maybe you are right. I should give another calculator a try then.

BrewnWKopperKat

... and I held their beer while the kat watched.
Reaction score
With out a label to clearly state which regional gallon is being used, a 'comma' rather than a 'period' is a hint.

On the other hand:

1646914790461.png

1646914863517.png

OP
OP
M

Matheos

Reaction score
@dmtaylor
@BrewnWKopperKat
Haha :) Honestly that is one me. I never considered that there were to kinds of gallons in existence... Very European mistake... :p

Strangebrew looks interesting, Would you recommend it? Could give it a shot in place of brew father

dmtaylor

Lord Idiot the Lazy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not many people use StrangeBrew (which is indeed Canadian, so, go to strangebrew.ca). It is really great, I like it a lot. I've had it since 1999, and I have literally about 1000 recipes in my database, so it's difficult to part with. If I had to start all over, I'd say it's still great, but I might also consider BeerSmith, or just stay online with Brewer's Friend which might even be better in some ways.

OP
OP
M

Matheos

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Seems like my problem here was mostly that I am European lol. I just tried inputting my recipe into brewersfriend in metric units, exactly as I had it in brewfather and indeed they do match up. Seems like they do calculate the IBUs in the same way.

According to both, I will need 55g of EKG 4.4AA @60 to reach my desired 25Ibus with my batch size. Now I am just concerned whether the original recipe IBUs are given in Tinseth or rager... haha

Thanks for the suggestions on calculators. I will see which one best suits me.

dmtaylor

Lord Idiot the Lazy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
They all use Tinseth, thankfully. Tinseth is the most accurate formula. I mean it's not perfect, but it's as good as we can get without getting overly complicated (there are alternatives out there that require a zillion inputs -- not necessary for most practical intents & purposes).

OP
OP
M

Matheos

Reaction score
They all use Tinseth, thankfully. Tinseth is the most accurate formula. I mean it's not perfect, but it's as good as we can get without getting overly complicated (there are alternatives out there that require a zillion inputs -- not necessary for most practical intents & purposes).
Ok thanks, good to know :)

rburrelli

Reaction score
When I first started using Brewfather I made an error on what my boiling temperature was in my profile. It directly affected my ibu calculations a lot. Once i corrected by entering my altitude things adjusted.