Hit stated FG, time to lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunkelman

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm brewing my first lager, and started the d-rest a few days ago at 1019 gravity, I just checked it and it's at 1012, which is what the recipe calls for (1012-1014). Do I need check it again in two days to see if it's gotten any lower, or should I put it in the lagering fridge now?

Hi all,

I'm brewing my first lager, and started the d-rest a few days ago at 1019 gravity, I just checked it and it's at 1012, which is what the recipe calls for (1012-1014). Do I need check it again in two days to see if it's gotten any lower, or should I put it in the lagering fridge now?

Yes, check it again in two days to make sure it's done. Then you can rack and begin lagering.

Did you taste the hydrometer sample? If there isn't a slippery, kinda creamy, buttery scotch flavor than you are on target. Are you transfering to secondary for the lager? ( of course you are, right?)

Thanks! and yes, of course I'm transfering to a secondary for lagering! :) Actually I wasn't going to, I had read on here many people who say secondarying is unnecessary unless you're dry hopping or adding fruits. Is that not so when it's a lager? Looks like I have to make another trip to the LHBS...not that I'm disappointed. :)

Thanks! and yes, of course I'm transfering to a secondary for lagering! :) Actually I wasn't going to, I had read on here many people who say secondarying is unnecessary unless you're dry hopping or adding fruits. Is that not so when it's a lager? Looks like I have to make another trip to the LHBS...not that I'm disappointed. :)

I would never lager on the yeast cake. I'm fine with a long primary for ales, but lagers are "clean" and crisp and without yeast character. Leaving it sit on the yeast for 8 weeks just doesn't seem like the right thing to do.

I will definitely get it off the yeast cake then. :) Thanks for the education!

Pshewww. Just had to make sure, sounded iffy for a sec.

Ps. If yooper says it, believe it! Jus messin, no I'm not seriously. Good luck.

Liquidity.

( Sorry all :off:)

Nice avatar you have there, a big roaring fire, comfy arm chair and man's best friend. Doesn't get much better!

Back