Hit FG now what ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjc8870

Reaction score
I have brewed two prior beers with good success. The one error I think i have made is rushing the beer. My prior batches were fermented in a Son of Fermentation chiller between 66-68 degrees. After I hit FG I kegged and carbonated for 10 days or so and then served.

My gut says I rushed those prior batches. Well, now I have been fermenting in chamber for two weeks at 66-68 degrees. The beer (Amber Ale) has hit its FG. My question is, what should I do now? Should I continue to keep carboy in my chamber at 66-68? Should I secondary ? Should I keep in carboy at room temp?

I plan on cold crashing in my kegerator for a week or so at 40 degrees and then force carbing.

I am looking to find out what the optimum step is after reaching FG in my chamber. Can some of you experienced brewers help me to get to the next level?

Thanks

First off, no need to move it to secondary unless you are going to add something to it like fruit or oak, or if you are planning on bulk aging it for a while (i.e. months).

I would leave it alone for another week (for a total of 3 weeks in the fermenter) and then if your gravity is stable go ahead and crash cool it and keg it up. Leave it at room temp for now.

IMO I would go ahead and move it, in the primary, to wherever you are going to cold crash it. Keep it there under 40F for 2 more weeks (some yeast will still work on it, just slower). After the 2 weeks, add gelatin, and 3-4 days after that keg/bottle it. Or add gelatin when you keg it in 2 weeks.

Back