History of Still vs Carbonated Cider...???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chalkyt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We all seem to know that cider has been around for a long, long time but when did we start carbonating it? Is it more "traditional" to make still cider or has carbonated cider been around forever (perhaps in earthenware jars with corks or plugs wired in place)?

I prime and carbonate mine because that is what the first recipe I found said to do. But I see that a lot of us also make it still.

So, what do people prefer and why? Dr Google doesn't seem to have much information on the "why" or when carbonation began.

Historically I'll bet the common ciders were lightly carbonated in big oak barrels, in a fashion similar to modern English cask-conditioned "real ales" -- look up the CAMRA organization for more info on the ale side of things. When the bung is first popped, the cider might be carbonated. Then after several days or weeks, I'll bet the carbonation went down to nothing, yet the people drank it anyway.

I could be totally wrong, but that's what makes sense in my little brain. Cheers.

I would imagine both were done. Natural carbonation probably was seen in the fancier stuff, and the low end stuff may have just been ever so slightly bubbly-mostly flat due to barrels not remaining air tight once tapped.

The above posters are correct. Old cider recipes often call for the fermentation barrel to be bunged up tight after fermentation starts to subside and some talk about how the cider looses is bubbles as the cask is consumed. You begin to find carbonated cider as we know in the early 1700s in Europe as glass bottle manufacturing technology finally reached a point where it can hold pressure reliably. Both in bottle carbonation and forced carbonation was commonly in use by the mid-century for beverages of all types.

With my typical protocol I tend to get still or very lightly carbonated ciders. I've started to experiment with some bottle carbing by taking my fridged cider - tossing it in swing-top bottles & letting em sit at basement room temps for 1month - then returning to fridge. Results have been great so far. At some point I'll be adding kegs so I can force carb some 5gal batches. I enjoy both still & carbonated. Tend to catch a quicker buzz from the carbonated ones [emoji57] Cheers[emoji111]

I carb to 3 or 3.5 atmospheres in heavy, brown, 1 qt. swing tops. Never a problem, always good taste. I just need more swing tops, but am too cheap to buy another case of them.

I carb to 3 or 3.5 atmospheres in heavy, brown, 1 qt. swing tops. Never a problem, always good taste. I just need more swing tops, but am too cheap to buy another case of them.
If bottle carbing....how do you determine the level/atmospheres? (I use the same 1L swing-tops [emoji57] - plus have some 16ozers & original 12oz grolsch bottles)

If bottle carbing....how do you determine the level/atmospheres? (I use the same 1L swing-tops [emoji57] - plus have some 16ozers & original 12oz grolsch bottles)

Batch prime (in the bottling bucket) and insure the primer is mixed. I use the standard 28g sugar from AJC per gallon cider for a nice moderate carb. Wouldn't want more as bottle matured carbonation produces very fine bubbles.

Curious re bottle carbing --

What kinda SG drop & ABV increase can ya typically expect?

Cheers [emoji111]

Curious re bottle carbing --

What kinda SG drop & ABV increase can ya typically expect?

Cheers [emoji111]

It will ferment dry (again) to whatever "dry" was prior to bottling...ABV increase will be minimal and can be easily calculated.

Bottle carbing consumes maybe 3 gravity points of sugar.

Easy there...bottle carbing will consume whatever sugars are available. We might add 3 gravity points as a prime, so there your statement is spot on....if we add, say 20....I don't want to be around two weeks later.

Easy there...bottle carbing will consume whatever sugars are available. We might add 3 gravity points as a prime, so there your statement is spot on....if we add, say 20....I don't want to be around two weeks later.

LOL, point taken. I should have said it takes about 3 points of sugar to reach typical beer levels of carbonation.

Back