hissing bottles... poor capping or prelude to granade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomek322

Reaction score
I bottled my first brew three days age... stuck the bottles in a plastic container with a lid. I opened the lid and heard some hissing. Didn't have time to dissect how many where actually hissing. I think it's like 2-4 out of 30. I drank one yesterday, it had carbonation already. I may have over primed it, I had 4.2 gallons and I used 5oz of priming sugar. What to do now? Find the culprits and re cap? Should I be fearful of explosions?

As bad as it sounds, the beers that may be venting themselves is a good thing. If they weren't they would surely blow.;)

I'd recommend getting your capper out and hitting every bottle again with the capper. Do not re-cap, just try to make them more tight.

Uh, yes, you did overprime a bit.

At this point, should I just move these to a fridge or at least a cooler environment?

Usually, i only use 4oz of corn sugar to prime a 5 gallon batch. That extra ounce could make a big difference, although there are other factors that affect carbonation. Such as temperature, beer style, etc....

As said previously, good thing you haven't had any bottle bombs. :cross:

Latest posts

Back