Washington Himalayan Blackberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitterbad

Reaction score
Just made a few batches of sweet wine from the wild blackberries that literally grow like weeds around here in Washington. Any others that have done the same? If so, would appreciate an exchange of tips / experience. And if not—for shame! Those berries are so yummy and they're being wasted at this very moment! Go and pick some!

I made a great blackberry sour ale last year using Philly Sour yeast. I used about 6 lbs. of grain and 4 lbs. of blackberries (crushed) that I picked around. Aimed for about 13 IBUs with Saaz, so just a touch. It came out pretty nicely and will probably brew it again this year--but this time I'm going to throw in some wheat for a little more mouthfeel

I made a great blackberry sour ale last year using Philly Sour yeast. I used about 6 lbs. of grain and 4 lbs. of blackberries (crushed) that I picked around. Aimed for about 13 IBUs with Saaz, so just a touch. It came out pretty nicely and will probably brew it again this year--but this time I'm going to throw in some wheat for a little more mouthfeel
nice, I've definitely seen a lot of blackberry lambic going around

Any that I pick seem to be used for pies by the Females of the Tribe. Mind you, I'm not complaining. Not much of a wine guy anyway.
Yeah i've also made a bunch of pie, jam, fritters, etc. They're just so plentiful that if I don't figure out unique ways to use them the taste gets old quick.

Back