Highland Cold Mountain Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafoster1987

Reaction score
Anyone have a recipe for this beer, preferably extract? I know that Highland alters the spices every year but would love to brew this beer.

The Highland website offers this information:

Grain - 2-Row Brewers Malt, Pilsen, Vienna, Chocolate, Wheat, Caramel 40, Caramel 60

Hops - Cascade and Mount Hood

ABV - 5.2%

IBU - 28

The recipe varies from year to year so it wouldn't have to be exact. It should be available in stores this coming weekend.

Could someone explain where I should start trying to calculating a possible recipe at least?

You know, I am bottling this recipe today: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f78/holly-christmas-ale-145580/ . I tasted my hydro sample, and except for the lack of vanilla flavor (because it goes in at bottling), this was actually pretty darn close to Cold Mountain.

During the tour the guide mentioned hazel nuts as a possible ingredient, but everyone was tight lipped about the actual recipe.

I'm thinking of splitting up my batch at bottling and doing maybe 4-5 bombers with just vanilla, and the rest as the recipe calls for.

Back