Highest ABV cider, cyser etc you've made?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmd2k1

Reaction score
Curious what the highest ABV good tasting cider, cyser etc you've ever made....and what it was comprised of?

My 11.75% "cheaters" ice cider is pretty dang tasty!

Was a simple 1gal using 5 cans FAJC topped w/100% AJ....and S04. Gonna scale up to a 5gal batch soon [emoji41][emoji111]

Highest I've done is 15%, the JOAM mead recipe. Yep, with bread yeast.

I didn't think bread yeast would go that high.

15% raspberry cyser. Tasted like rocket fuel mixed with raspberries.

The OP said "good tasting". Does rocket fuel taste good?

I've bumped up Cider ABV by freeze concentrating the juice and adding sugar, but I really didn't like the taste. I think the highest I've gone is 9-10% with cider type beverages.
I'm now working on some 14% melomels with blueberries and other tart fruit, but I'm thinking of making a base mead and blending in cider that's already done, the end result will probably be about 10%. The idea is to avoid the rocket fuel flavor but still have the alcohol and balance it with the acidity/flavor from the cider.

Last edited:
Cyser 1.052 Apple Cider plus honey to 1.125 OG fermented dry to .998 = approximately 16.6ABV.

Cider 1.050 Cider plus FAJC to 1.065 fermented to 1.002 ended up about 8.2 ABV.

I used Black Tea in Primary, Med Toast Oak, Vanilla, Cinnamon, cloves, star Anise and acid blend to taste in secondary. Cider was kegged and carbonated and tasted good at 4 weeks, was great at 3 months. Cyser was bottled still and needed a bit of age, at 9 months was good and very good at 18.

Always the contrarian, but I think the better question might be what is the highest ABV cider or cyser you've made that won a medal at what competition. It just takes yeast to make either but it takes some skill to make a good wine and some real mastery to make a great one.

In some respects agree with Bernard, however in others we just don't see eye to eye, (That is OK with me, we all have our own opinions, likes and preferences.)

Yes it does take some luck, practice, skill and even mastery to make a great Cyser or Cider.

I personally believe that if a Cyser tastes Good, Great or Freakin Awesome to me and my family then I achieved my goal. I make my Cysers and Ciders to share and enjoy with friends and family.

In a hot climate apples (and pears) can get a very high sg. I often make cideraround 9-10% abv with no added sugar or cryoconcentration, this year is very hot, will probably be around 11% or higher.

Following up on this thread I started in winter...

Did a late winter "cheaters" ice cider using....D47.....ended up at 14.15%......still sipping some this summer & it's frikn awesome! Will be my go to yeast for higher ABV stuff. Was about a 4week ferment & 4day cold crash.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Back