Highest OG you've ever done & been happy with outcome :-)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmd2k1

Reaction score
this post is really across Cider/Mead/Wine forums...

Wondering what the highest starting SG beverage you've ever done and been happy with -- and what was your FG/ABV ??

This question is prompted by a vino I had from 2 Lads winery in northern Michigan last nite -- a Cab Franc that was 13% and 24 Brix. I tend to like things on the sweeter side and most Cab Sauv's are bit too dry for me -- this wine was spot on -- fruity, fresh, excellent mouth feel and not overly sweet. I got to thinking what did 24 Brix equate to in specific gravity and low and behold it is 1.10! Wow. I wouldn't have guessed that....as my faux ice ciders tend to end in the high 1.02s to low 1.03s...and they are just the right amount of sweet apple goodness :) Given that info on ABV and Brix -- the OG of this wine had to be 1.19 - 1.2 (my hydrometer doesn't even go up that high)

Here's that Cab Franc -- Rola Red
https://www.2lwinery.com/product/2017-Rola-Red

Cheers!

though I have in fact had Cab Franc icewine with FG of 24 Brix, in this case that number is referring to OG. The "residual sugar" of 2.7% is what makes it clear in this case (as well as you not mentioning it being EXTREMELY sweet). The wine has about 27 grams per liter residual sugar, semi dry or off dry or semi-sweet, depending on how the other elements of balance come into play. Note an actual ice wine may have more than 200 grams per liter residual sugar.

To answer your question, I've fermented ice cider and a couple ice wines at 1.180, though I prefer the cider closer to 1.160's and sometimes down near 1.140 with stupidly acidic blends.
I've made Polish mead that would have been well above 1.200, however in those cases I've never added all the honey at the beginning thus the OG was never that high.

though I have in fact had Cab Franc icewine with FG of 24 Brix, in this case that number is referring to OG. The "residual sugar" of 2.7% is what makes it clear in this case (as well as you not mentioning it being EXTREMELY sweet). The wine has about 27 grams per liter residual sugar, semi dry or off dry or semi-sweet, depending on how the other elements of balance come into play. Note an actual ice wine may have more than 200 grams per liter residual sugar.

To answer your question, I've fermented ice cider and a couple ice wines at 1.180, though I prefer the cider closer to 1.160's and sometimes down near 1.140 with stupidly acidic blends.
I've made Polish mead that would have been well above 1.200, however in those cases I've never added all the honey at the beginning thus the OG was never that high.
My bad on interpreting the info provided -- as I was blown away that it wasn't sweeter. Makes more sense now...

Though I'm still very interested to hear from others on my original ?. (My highest OG so far for a faux ice cider was 1.14)

Cheers!

Mead 1.120 to 1.125 OG has historically been my target for Sack Mead. Clarify at 90 days, bottle at 120 days and age for a year in the bottle before I touch it. At 12-18 months is good and two years very good! Have some in the cellar at 62 Deg F for 6 Years to date most continue to get better with age. For me Melomels seem to peak at 2 - 3 years and although don't get appreciably better they don't really get any worse either... Not sure why they don't continue to get better like a Show Mead does. The difference between a 2 year and 6 year (16+ ABV) Sack Show Mead is nothing short of amazing.

I did a black muscadine that started at 1.135, can't remember the finish, but it was not overly sweet. Seems like it was 17%. Fermented with wild yeast. It was good after a year, but still have 2 bottles in the shed going on 3 years. Don't know when I will crack them.

But I find myself drawn more and more to low ABV ferments now, 7-9% ABV. I am doing lots of stuff that are cider-ish. Just bottled a white muscadine at 9% and backsweetened. I have a Blackberry finishing secondary soon, and plan to start a raspberry/white grape soon.

See my post on low ABV wines for more.

I make cider & graff at about 8%, but I've made graff at 9.72% that was pretty tasty. You'd never know it had such a high ABV while you were drinking it, but stand up after a pint & you'd definitely feel it. I try to make cider & graff that tastes great & goes down like a 5% beer, but is actually about 8.5%; that way it sneaks up on you...
Makes me feel like I'm doing things right. ;)
Regards. GF.

Latest posts

Back