Higher FG then expected. Can I bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tippers

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if you could help me.

A couple weeks ago I brewed a Timothy Taylor Landlord Clone and I believe it has finished fermentation as for 3 days in a row I have recieved a final gravity reading of 1.019 (the start gravity being 1.051). It has been fermenting for 11 days at 22°c. On the recipe it states the SG should be 1.048 and FG be 1.010

If I transfer to bottles today and condition the beer it won't explode with cooper carbonation tablets will it?

After 11 days at a warm temperature, it's almost certain that the fermentation is done. The relatively low attenuation (62.7%) is probably due to factors in the mash and pitch rate. Do you have some info on that?

What was your mash temperature and duration?
How much of what kind of yeast did you pitch (assuming WY1469, which is Taylor's)?

After 11 days at a warm temperature, it's almost certain that the fermentation is done. The relatively low attenuation (62.7%) is probably due to factors in the mash and pitch rate. Do you have some info on that?

What was your mash temperature and duration?
How much of what kind of yeast did you pitch (assuming WY1469, which is Taylor's)?

Mash temp was 65 however it did fluctuate slightly but around this mark.

Unfortunately the yeast didn't have any info on the packet except it said British Ale Yeast

Hope this helps

Okay, 65C = 149F so that is on the low side of the mash temp range, meaning it would not be a factor in a low-attenuating fermentation. So assuming your thermometer is accurate, we can rule that out.

My instinct would be to swirl the contents of the fermenter to encourage the yeast to be re-suspended in the beer (don't open the fermenter or splash it), and wait for a full two week period, which I guess is 3 more days. If no further progress, bottle it.

Okay, 65C = 149F so that is on the low side of the mash temp range, meaning it would not be a factor in a low-attenuating fermentation. So assuming your thermometer is accurate, we can rule that out.

My instinct would be to swirl the contents of the fermenter to encourage the yeast to be re-suspended in the wort (don't open the fermenter or splash it), and wait for a full two week period, which I guess is 3 more days. If no further progress, bottle it.

Thank you.

I shall give that a go!

If gravity is the same it won't explode will it in the bottle using Cooper's Tablets?

If it doesn't continue to drop after 2 weeks at 22ºC then I can't imagine it's going to over-carbonate in the bottle. I would have expected this fermentation to be at FG within 4 days to be honest.

If it doesn't continue to drop after 2 weeks at 22ºC then I can't imagine it's going to over-carbonate in the bottle. I would have expected this fermentation to be at FG within 4 days to be honest.

Thank you.

It's my first brew you see so I sound sound a bit stupid haha.

It did start fermenting quite quickly so I'm sure it finished not too long ago but have now swirled it and will leave a couple more days for the yeast to drop.

You're not stupid for asking this important question! And for being patient. That's the hardest part of brewing sometimes. Post back with any more questions or your progress on the batch.

Cheers

Great discussion. I just wanted to add that I agree with @McKnuckle. Try swirling the fermenter then wait 3 more days. Then you'll know for sure. Sometimes the yeast settles out and doesn't want to finish the job and just needs a little agitation. And sometimes not. :)

I agree with the advice about gently swirling the fermenter. Is it an English yeast strain? They are often very flocculant and can require special attention per this whitelabs article:

https://www.whitelabs.com/beer/flocculation-basics
"High flocculators can require special attention to produce a well balanced beer. The yeast will often need to be “roused” back into the beer by gently swirling the carboy"

Back