High temps for rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riderkb

Reaction score
I was talking to an experienced brewer a while back and he told me that rye needs high temps to make the most of that spicy character. He recommended 170F. I'm not even sure how I would go about that. The whole mash can't be done at that temp, obviously. Maybe do a separate rye mash, then add it into the tun before the sach rest?

I made a light ale with 7lbs of 2 row and 2 lbs of rye malt. It was very good, but the rye character was pretty subtle. Nothing like the rye flavor in SN Ruthless Rye. I'd like to make something like a paler, dryer 4.5% ABV version of Ruthless?

A beta-glucan rest at 113 degrees would help, but mashing at 170 will denature the enzymes that convert starches to sugars. Other than the beta-glucan rest, I mash rye as I would any other grain depending on the body I'm trying to develop.

When I use rye, I do a beta glucan rest for 30 min, then infuse and raise the temp to the 153F range... I have never heard of mashing rye at 170, let alone know what it would be useful for.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My one rye IPA I mashed at 156, ended up too malty - more a winter beer than a crisp quaffable IPA. I usually mash 1.065+ hop forward ales at 148-150. This was 1.075, ended up nice and the rye (1lb in 5 gallon batch) came through but my conclusion was to go back to lower mash temps. FWIW,

Cheers,
Steve da sleeve

When I use rye, I do a beta glucan rest for 30 min, then infuse and raise the temp to the 153F range... I have never heard of mashing rye at 170, let alone know what it would be useful for.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think he was saying that rye doesn't develop that strong spicy character unless you hold it at a high temp for an extended time. I was just wondering if anyone else had heard of, or tested, his hypothesis.

Back