high temperature on stirring plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCHB

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I made an starter on stir plate, after 6 hours i understood that temperature on the flask rises to 34 degrees centigrade probably because of high round speed or may my stir plate problem. May there be problem for yeast? that result to fail the starter? ( temperature of room is about 24 degrees)

Without knowing what your stir plate is powered with (steam? ;)) if the yeast were highly active at that 6+ hour point I'd expect most of the temperature rise would be due to the yeast. I mean, eventually you end up with enough yeast to plough through a 5 gallon batch of beer being contained in a small flask. Not a lot of thermal dissipation for a whole lot of partying yeast...

Cheers!

My stir plate does generate some heat of its own which affected the starter temps... I placed about 1/4" or 3/8" of insulation (foam from packing material) between the plate and flask and that helped a lot. I can't stir quite as fast as before without throwing the bar, but it's still sufficient for a 4 l starter!

Hope this helps!
--bob

Back